Day 6 Banff to Hinton


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta
May 20th 2016
Published: May 20th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today we decided to head north to Lake Louise, Jasper, and settle in at Hinton, Alberta. We had a slow steady rain all night. Rain is stopped for the time being. The forecast for today is light rain all day. I guess that's good for the Fort McMurray fire. We have certainly had a great stay in Banff, exceeding our expectations. The whole town looks like it was built about five years ago, very modern. Restaurants galore and very cosmopolitan. Reminds me of a Vail or an Aspen.

After refueling, we had a great breakfast at Melissa's Misteak, then headed for Lake Louise on Highway 1A, very scenic, but the only wildlife were a few mule deer.

Stopped at Lake Louise in a steady rain. Although very beautiful, the water color was not as vivid as it would have been on a clear day. A picture of Peggy and Sally enjoying the view of Lake Louise. Had coffee and a wonderful Danish at the Fairmont Hotel--just what we needed to warm up and dry off. As we left, the rain stopped!

Headed north on the Icefields Parkway. It is claimed to be one of the most scenic drives in North America. It truly is. We keep using the word spectacular but around every turn is a stunning vista. Even on a rainy day, with clouds shrouding the tops of the Rockies.

Decided to make the 15-minute hike on a partially snow-covered trail up to 7,000 feet to see Peyto Lake. It was quite a trek but well worth it. It was the most spectacular shade (there's that word again) of blue we've ever seen--Azure, I believe! And the blue is completely from the water since it was completely overcast.
At one point, while driving, cars were pulled over to the side to photograph a black bear having lunch. We stopped for pics, he didn't seem to mind.

Farther down the road we saw a black bear in a field approaching us so we pulled over and he walked right in front of us across the highway. Pretty cool.
We went through about 15 miles of Caution: Caribou Crossing but of course no sightings. Just like at home, how many deer do you see at the deer crossing sign.
We pulled in to the Hinton Alberta KOA in light snow flurries. Hooked up and Sally made dinner. Off to bed rather early.
I must say this motorhome is quite efficient. The refrigerator really keeps things cold. The furnace really puts out heat. And the hot water heater services very very hot water. Haven't tried the air conditioner yet. 230 miles today

Advertisement



Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb