Day 5 Banff


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff
May 18th 2016
Published: May 19th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Odometer reading: 1609
We slept in! Fixed a big breakfast then took the bus into Banff, named for BanffShire in Scotland. Banff is the highest town in Canada with an elevation of 4537 feet. The Banff national Park, Canada's first, was designated are United Nations world heritage site in 1985. Many consider it to be the most spectacular scenery in North America. We agree!
Rain was forecast for the afternoon so we opted to take the gondola up the mountain in the morning to appreciate the views without cloud cover. Good choice! The panoramic scenery was magnificent – – please use your thesaurus for adjectives that elaborate on this thing. All of them will apply! From the gondola drop off we hiked up the Vista Trail boardwalk To Sanson's national historic site (one of 7).
Sally said it really takes your breath away – – and it quite literally did! The elevation is 7500 feet
We returned to the town center and lunched at Tooloulou's– – A Cajun Café bringing a touch of the Bayou to Banff. Emma, are British waitress, photo bombed the pic.
Back to our campsite for a rest… And happy hour course
We keep thinking we'll see some local wildlife: elk, moose, black and grizzly bears. But so far the only Bears we've seen have been in Starbucks or souvenir stores.
Dinner at Magpie and Stump--A local favorite. Delicious Mexican fare: nachos, tacos, and enchiladas. Ice cream at Cows – every pun you can imagine using "cow" or "moo". "Cownton Abbey and the Dowager Cowntess" etc.
Caught in the rain waiting for the bus back to our snug little homes. Should be wonderful sleeping tonight with the gentle rain…


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb