Day 40 - Icefields Parkway to Lake Louise


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Lake Louise
September 17th 2013
Published: September 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

imageimageimage

Sunwapta Falls
Ready to hit the road at 7.30am after having a quick look at Sunwapta Falls. Like all the other falls we have seen over the past few days it was impressive.

Today we are driving the Icefield Parkway from Jasper to Lake Louise. It is a stretch of road almost 200km long - but don't expect to be able to drive it in a few hours. The drive is through some pretty spectacular sights and there are photos and hikes to be taken around every corner!

The Icefields Parkway (highway 93) traverses high elevation (2,088m) mountain terrain. During the winter months snow chains are required for driving this road. In this blog today I will list the places of interest we stopped along the journey to our destination of Lake Louise: View point to photographs three of the Rocky Mounains - tangleridge, mushroom peak and endless chain. All 3 looking spectacular with the morning sun hitting their peaks.

Columbia Icefield which consists of around 30 glaciers, is the largest Icefield in the Rockys - it is also a world heritage site. We hiked to the tongue of the Athabasca glacier, a distance of around .6km. It sure was hard work
imageimageimage

Early morning at Sunwapta Falls
getting to the top and we were both breathless due to elevation as well.

This glacier along with others is rapidly receding - confirming that our climate is changing. The climate change is most evident with the glaciers here in Canada and also Alaska. In regards to Athabasca glacier - it is said that if it continues to recede at it's current rate there will be very little left in a hundred years. A new forest will begin to grow where the ice is now and a large lake may form at the base.

Across the road from the glacier was the Icefield centre. We popped in and took a few photos - didn't stay long - too many tourists for our liking! Shortly after we drove into Banff National Park where our first stop was Bridal Veil Falls. Magnificent falls flowing from the side of the mountain range.

Weeping wall was also an amazing sight. The towering rock wall sits just above the east side of the highway. During summer it is a sea of waterfalls, tears of liquid streaming down from the top of the wall. Just after our stop at the weeping wall Geoff
imageimageimage

Reflection photo of another amazing lake by the highway
thought he spotted wildlife high up on the mountain. Using binoculars he got a clear view of a mountain goat - sitting on a ledge watching the world passing by him! Managed to get a shot with the long range lens.

Lunch at the Rampart Creek Campground. We were the only ones in the campground..had a lovely peaceful lunch at a picnic table overlooking the Saskatchewan River. So great being able to stop anywhere we feel like - whip up a few sandwiches and a coffee in the RV and just enjoy the natural beauty that is surrounding us each day.

Hike to Mistaya Canyon - the river rises in Peyto Lake and then plunges into this narrow canyon. The huge potholes in the rocks have been formed from the swirling water and rock debris. The rumbling waters in the canyon are cutting, abrading, and dissolving the limestone rocks. I'm sure the photos do not do the canyon justice - it is a sight that has to be seen.

Bow summit which is the highest point on the Parkway. The hike takes you to an overlook with breathtaking views of Peyto Lake. From the viewpoint you get
imageimageimage

The Rockies
to see the beginning of the alpine tundra. The viewpoint here was extremely busy - all the tourist buses stop here and I can understand why - just a stunning view!

Bow Lake - This lake is such a brilliant blue colour. The waters leaving the glacier are muddy with rocks, gravel and silt. As the stream slows down most of the rubble is left behind to become delta. Silt then flows into the icy water where most of it sinks to the bottom of the stream. Fine particles of rock ground to the texture of baking powder remain suspended in the water. This "rock flour" scatters the blue-green rays of light, giving the lake this special colour.

Arrived in Lake Louise around 4.30pm. Checked in to the Lake Louise campground. Electric site $32. Went into Lake Louise Village and picked up a few essential items for dinner then headed over to the lake for our first glimpse of this iconic lake. The sun was shining brightly on the lake and was an effervescent blue colour. Walked from the lake over to the Fairmont Lake Louise Chateau.

Naturally it was busy and probably is every day of
imageimageimage

Athabasca Glacier
the year! Took of few photos around the foyer and outside grounds - dreaming of what it would be like to stay here!!

Geoff cooked another great meal in the RV - update our photos, etc and early night. Tomorrow we are hiking around Lake Louise to the Plain of six Glaciers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

imageimage
image

Geoff hiking up to the glacier
imageimage
image

At the Athabasca Glacier
imageimage
image

Enjoying the amazing glacier
imageimage
image

The receding marker
imageimage
image

At the Icefield Centre
imageimage
image

Mountains along the weeping wall
imageimage
image

Bridal veil Falls
imageimage
image

Weeping wall
imageimage
image

Mistaya Canyon
imageimage
image

Mistaya Canyon
imageimage
image

Mushroom Peak
imageimage
image

Bow summit
imageimage
image

At Bow Summit
imageimage
image

Bow Summit
imageimage
image

At the Fairmont Chateau
imageimage
image

Sunset at Lake Louise


20th September 2013

Photos are brilliant!! love the 2 teddy bears Judy!!!
20th September 2013

Yes Judith but being here is even better than the photos...you must visit!

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb