Into the Middle East


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
April 30th 2013
Published: June 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 25.27, 55.33

We woke in the smallest shoe box hotel room of our travels and are now set to sleep in the biggest apartment we will stay in. Including the three bathrooms, there are seven rooms. Two bedrooms, full kitchen and full lounge. Our flight went relatively smoothly; we woke at 6, check out 6.30, a cab to the airport and quick breakfast. Our flight was delayed for half an hour due to a faulty entertainment system. The service wasnt as good this leg, I had to get up and replace my own faulty headsets after being ignored for 30 minutes.It was slow going clearing customs in Dubai. We had to get a visa organised on entry. We had a free transfer awaiting us on arrival, and we arrived at our hotel Xclusive Apartments around 2pm. It was raining lightly and around 30C. Hot, but nowhere near as humid and sticky as Singapore.We decided to take a leisurely train trip into the city to round off the day. We stopped by Mcdonalds on the way for the largest serve of fries and coke ive ever seen.The trains were impressive a high track giving great views. Our destination was the Emirates Mall. It was huge, seemingly neverending. We passed a supermarket with 58 check out cashiers before finally arriving at the infamous Dubai ski resort. Tired, we had a look ariund before heading back to the hotel.We stopped off at the huge Spinneys supermarket on the way home to buy ingredients for a home cooked meal. Nat whipped up delicious kebabs, UAE potatoes and snow peas, whilst I went on an adventure for salt and pepper. Its now 8pm, were both full and tired enjoying a night in. A load of washing is on, as we have a washing machine here. Tomorrow we have a dunes tour and dinner planned.Some early impressions/thoughts of Dubai;Feels rather sterile and uncultured. Like a construction zone. Dusty and sandy, not much green.Architecture is impressive. The city smacks of wealth and high quality.Men seem to greatly outnumber women, especially on trains and employment.The dress code for women dosnt really apply, heaps of tourist women well underdressed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



2nd May 2013

Now that's what I call Supersized chips.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb