Gaining muscles in Brussels


Advertisement
Europe
July 18th 2011
Published: July 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sorry it's been a while the Internet situation has been pretty bad, the last blogs weren't very detailed because it's hard to write everything in 15 minutes. On the 14th we arrived in Liege in Belgium, the station looked like the set of a futuristic space movie. Ally used her french for the first time to buy a bus ticket and I just went 'what she said'. Our hostel was really nice though it did feel like a prison as the walls and ceilings were concrete blocks. We went exploring and found ourselves in the main square but it started raining so we took refuge in new look, where I bought warmer clothes. That evening we decided on pizza for dinner but when we got to the kitchen we realized that there were no ovens, microwaved pizzas are rather chewy by the way.
The next day we went to the aquarium which also had lots of skeletons and stuffed animals. Then we stumbled across a flea market where we had the Belgian speciality of chips with mayonnaise, they were nearly as good as chip shop chips.
In the afternoon we were given a free cornetto ice cream and we sat in the Park. When we left for the train station the bus was free as the ticket machine was broken, this wouldn't happen in England!
On the train to Brussels a blind man with pigtails started playing the keyboard for money, I want to know how his hair was so perfect. We managed to find the hostel with the help of some English girls who saw us looking lost and were in the same hostel as us. We were in an 8 bed female dorm with views of a pretty courtyard. we walked Down to the Grand Place. It's very touristy and the chocolate is very expensive. We watched two men do an acrobatic act for a while then went to the supermarket but as it was a Saturday the shops were shut in the evening but luckily I had some pasta and pesto in my backpack. The next day we went to 'mini Europe' which has lots of famous places in Europe just on a tiny scale. Then we went back to central Brussels, it took us an hour to find a place that sold stamps, so we bought a Belgian waffle to give us energy, I managed to eat about half as with cream an chocolate sauce it was way too sweet. We saw the mannequin pis which is very famous here, it's a water feature of a little boy having a a wee!
We went back to the hostel after seeing the royal palace and parliament and listening to a jazz band in the park. I had a nap as all this walking tires me out, im going to come back so muscly! We went down to the hostel bar and got chatting to the bar men, one was from brazil. They bought us our second round if drinks :D
We are going to Nancy so my French will just keep on improving.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.209s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb