Islay. Hebrides


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
May 3rd 2012
Published: May 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today has seen some excellent weather with clear blue skies, sunshine and two riders with bare arms and legs for much of the day. The journey to Islay took 2 hours and after a quick snack on the ferry we were off at Port Askaig and on our way to Bridgend. It was decided to take a trip to the Loch Gruinart Nature Reserve where we saw our first Hen Harrier and heard a cuckoo. Several swans took off on our arrival which was good to see with their long necks outstretched in front of them as they flew along the ground ahead of us. we are amazed how many people we meet who are, or were, local to us. The volunteer lady at the reserve came from Padiham and we met two yesterday from Chorley and Morecambe. A circle into the wind was made and wthey're returned to Bridgend before heading for Bowmore for an interview with the local paper, the 'Ileach'. They must be stuck for news. I must say though that it is good advertising and may get a little more for Cancer Research and may even find some accommodation for us later on. The journey to Port Ellen was a straight run South with a tail wind past the airport and into the path of a Devon Boy on his Swedish tandem trade type bike with his dog on top of his tent on the front cargo deck looking like it was bored with life. Our accommodation was with friends Gerry and Linda, who had rented a very swish house for theweek with an amazing view. Having managed to ride up the one in five climb to the property we were treated to the most exotic view ever over the bay to Port Ellen and the Kintyre Peninsula. We called at a distillery at Bruickladdich with the thought of buying a specimen but were nearly put off by the price of their single malts which were £28 to £200 per bottle so we went into the Harbour Inn at Bowmore for a coffee instead. Islay is a very pleasant island with some flattish sections and peat bogs, which were being harvested, and mixed farming using some old Ferguson, Massey Ferguson and Ford tractors. The roads were a mixture of very smooth roads and some rough potholed specimens. Just like Lancashire roads.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb