Gigha. Hebrides


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Argyll
May 2nd 2012
Published: May 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

The weather is getting better by the day. It rained just a little last night but was fine today and with quite a bit of sun. The morning was cold and I had to put on my longs as we got onto the Island of Gigha. The journey to the ferry at Tayinloan, of about 15 miles, was more hilly than Bill had remembered it from last year but it got our lungs working. We continue to see a lot of wildlife and today we saw more Great Northern Divers, Shags and a Buzzard or two, not to mention rabbits everywhere. The island is quite small and the farms a bit untidy but there are two bays in the North, which are quite pretty and overlook the Paps of Jura. The pub serves good snacks at lunchtime and again we had a kind lady having luncheon who gave us a donation for Cancer Research. The small notices on my bar bag and panniers certainly raises awareness of our reason for the ride and helps raise the money. The ferry lady asked us to pay on our return but I told her we had spent up on the island - some chance unless i bought a sheep or two. After Gigha we rode further down the coast to Muaresdale Caravan Site to see Alison, the owner, who kindly allowed Bill and his entourage to stay for free when he did his Round the Coast ride last year. We were met with a cup of tea and cake - manna from heaven - and one of her campers again gave us money for the cause. Long may it continue. The ride back to WhiteHouse was mostly with the wind behind us - we are the lucky ones. The hills Bill takes in his stride, tho' often quite short ones, and we eventuallyarrived back at Sue's at 5.30pm. We are not going to get the very spectacular sunset of last night I am afraid, but you can't have it all.

Over 200 miles to date and expect it to be well over 1000 by the time we finish.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb