DAY 15 BALMACARA-ARDVASAR


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
May 30th 2023
Published: May 30th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Together with Plockton village in the background. The tide was out.
A very leisurely beginning to the day. Maybe it's Jane's influence finally paying off after all these years ... or ... it could be her slowness with readying herself!!!

Took the very scenic little drive across the peninsula of Balmacara Estate which took us through the small but beautiful villages of Duirinish, Plockton, Drumbuie and Erbusaig. We wandered every street/road in Duirinish, spent hours in Plockton wandering, photographing and conversing with fellow tourists before meeting Lindsay, the local of Erbusaig, who had us in fits of laughter. He enjoyed the natter too because as he said, it beats having to continually repeat himself to the same locals day in and day out.

We crossed over to the Isle of Skye and headed south to Armadale Castle, the spiritual home of the Clan Donald, Scotland's largest and most powerful Clan. However, before that wonderful experience it was a chance meeting with the renowned Scottish artist, Helen L. Robertson that proved to be soul warming. It was as if we had been old friends. She was sitting outside of a hall, on a bench, sketching, when this loud voiced bloke interrupted her and struck up conversation by asking her questions. She

The beautiful little village of Duirinish that we explored on our way to Plockton.
was having her yearly exhibition in the hall behind us, as she had done for 20 years previous.

We lunched at the pub and headed for the castle with the panoramic vistas over the Sound of Sleat.

It was not difficult to be immersed in the Highland history as the museum was fully interactive. Displays and information of all mediums had us discovering the story of Clan Donald and their changing fortunes, from mighty Lords of the Isles, through the Jacobite risings, to the hardship of clearance and emigration. The magnificent 40 acre gardens of trees, shrubs and flowers, including many exotic species which thrive in the mild, sheltered climate, were laid out by Lord Macdonald in the early 19th century and are today maintained by the Clan Donald Lands Trust.

By 4.30 we were seated in Coffee Bothy, in Bradford, having a cake, which I didn't have to share, and a coffee.

Top day out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Duirinish homes.



Duirinish working sheds still working.



Plockton fishing harbour ... the boats are going no-where.


Plockton shoreline homes and businesses.


Walking Plockton.


Posing in Plockton.


A 'great bloke' we met in Erbusaig, a village in the vicinity of Duirinish and Plockton. We chatted for 15 minutes. It is what travelling is about. The world needs characters.


Vista on the way to Eilean Iarmain on the Isle of Skye.


A church not far from Eilean Iarmain with a stunning location.


Another day highlight. Artist, Helen L. Robertson, with her once a year exhibition at Eilean Iarmain. She specialises in water colours and pastels. This was her 21st year exhibiting in this village. We conversed for a good hour, brought some of her very minatures ... her paintings ranged from 450BP to 3000BP ... most had already been marked sold ... thank goodness ... out of our price range anyway ... but I was getting pressured!!


An example of Helen's art.


Armadale Castle, the spiritual home of Clan Donald.


The view from anywhere from the front of the castle, over the Sound of Sleat. Hard to take.


Moving down to the parapets one sees the modern day ferry terminal at Ardvasar


Note the tree branch ... straight out and then a 90 degree growth.


Walking through the estates gardens/grounds/forest. Cool ... just beautiful.


Taking a break and enjoying the sunshine.


Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb