DAY 14 BALMACARA-SLIGACHAN-GLENDALE-NEIST PT LIGHTHOUSE-DUNVEGAN


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
May 30th 2023
Published: May 30th 2023
Edit Blog Post


As I spent much of the day ... this time about to enter Glendale.
Our first stop was the Murchison Monument, short walk through the vegetation to a hillock overlooking Loch Alsh. (Read the photographed inscription.)

Crossing the 500m free road Skye Bridge which spans the sea between Kyle of Lochalsh (mainland) and Kyleakin (Isle of Skye) we briefly explored Kyleakin before taking in the magnificent scenery to Sligachan and its famous bridge, built between 1810-1818. The rubble bridge consists of three arches, although these are of uneven size. The bridge is single track and has a hump over the central arch, which is characteristic of the time. From the bridge the mountain scenery is stunning.

Our appreciation appetites fully aroused we headed to Glendale and the Neist Point Lighthouse beyond it. We could not rush as the drive had us continually stopping to view the, yes say it again, stunning vistas. Experience, or is it age, had us walking a little, sitting and just looking, so as to enjoy and remember what we were feeling.

The rough, single lane road with passing indentations to Neist Point took us through Glendale where we lunched a little before continuing. Wow!

We parked on the side of the road and walked and walked,

Murchison Monument inscription (Good friend of ours family ancestors)
along, up and up, down and up and along for the 5km return. The heart rate rose both from the excitement of the area and the strenuous effort (unfit). The basalt cliffs rise to about 100m above sea level and reminded us of the Giant Causeway in Northern Ireland. The lighthouse tower is about 20m high and stands 45m above sea-level. The light from the tower can be seen from up to 37 kms away. The lighthouse itself is unmanned and has been located there since 1909. Neist Point is the most westerly point of Skye.

Time was getting away from us so our arrival at Dunvegan Castle was well past mid-afternoon. We paid for our tickets and explored. Dunvegan Castle, built on a rocky outcrop on the shores of Loch Dunvegan is one the greatest Hebridean castles and the only Highland fortress to have been continuously occupied by the same family for 800 years. (ancestral home of the Chiefs of clan MacLeod). The current chief of Clan MacLeod is Hugh Magnus MacLeod of MacLeod, who succeeded his father in 2007. Chief Hugh has worked tirelessly to restore Dunvegan Castle and its gardens as the premier tourist attraction in

The memorial (monument)
the Hebrides and hundreds of thousands from around the world visit it each year.

I left Jane to wander the immense gardens at her leisure while I took ‘time-off’.

We arrived back at our accommodation in the early evening. A full on, enjoyable day. Gin and tonic and wine accompanied our pre-dinner nibbles. Should sleep well tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Looking towards Kyle of Lochalsh



Skye Bridge from Kyleakin.


The peaks of Cuillin Mountains (Hills)


Sligachan Bridge.


"That's where we're headed", one says to the other.


Jane, set to join them.






Heading into Glendale.


Approaching Neist Point. This is not the Pt.


Part of the walk to the lighthouse (unsighted at present)


The trail crosses the stone wall.


Basalt cliffs.



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb