C2C - Reeth to Richmond


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Richmond
May 30th 2022
Published: May 31st 2022
Edit Blog Post

After an evening of listening to a couple of hikers, German woman and English man, chat and top trump each-other in walking stories (think they were flirting with the blokes mate not seeming too impressed) we were grateful they headed to their own tents to sleep as we did too. Sleeping well, we had planned a lie in to get breaky at a bike cafe at the beginning of the trail at 9, but we ended up being awake, up and ready to go by 8! Not wanting to hang around we decided to cook up porridge before setting off in the sunshine, for the 17km walk to Richmond.

Spotting and passing some other walkers, we followed the quiet road down and round into a small wooded section, which was hiding the first steep incline. Levelling out briefly, it crossed some farmer fields with lots of sheep (I wonder how many sheep we’ve passed now?…) and then dropped back onto the road and headed down…and down…and down. This actually puts a lot more pressure on the feet and they soon began to ache more then I’ve felt in a while. Thankfully there was then a church with Walkers refreshments expertly displayed with honesty box. A little stop here and we were soon joined by other walkers, including green pack girl! Cue some brief chit chat about the trail.

Having headed down, the route was only going to go up again, which it did, up along road and then back into farmers fields; after a 15min stop stood to the side due to a very angry & rude woman shouting at us, and the other walkers that caught up with us, to hide ourselves as they moved some cattle! The rain decided to join us again here, so, with coats on, we trekked across a couple more river crossings and some more hill climbing, before the track eventually levelled out again and widened, skirting around a hill and into Richmond.

Checking into our bnb for two nights (the Buck Inn-very nice), we did some clothes rinsing/washing in the sink and showered, enjoying proper towels, before settling with a cuppa and a map of Richmond. With another planned rest day arranged, we picked up more supplies (including some antiseptic stuff as we think Paul may have the beginnings of an ingrowing toenail!), explored Richmonds historic streets & castle, and of course, making the most of being in a bigger town, plan to visit the local cinema to catch the new Top Gun tonight; but will it be as good as the private fly bys we had the other day? ?


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb