C2C - Keld to Reeth


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Kirkby Stephen
May 29th 2022
Published: May 29th 2022
Edit Blog Post

After a quiet and solid night sleep, we had a slightly slower morning, but we’re still walking by 9, for another 20km day. After seeing another waterfall, we headed up the steep but brief track to the track along the ridge and followed this along with magnificent views into the valley. We then chose the lower route of the two options (way marked by an old tractor frame) down into the valley and were met with easy, flat walking along the river, for the rest of the day; cue Paolo Nutini and others keeping us company for most of the trail. It mixed between gravel and mud tracks, wide and thin, right by the river to higher ridges, and through wild meadows. A busier trail, mixed with coast to coast walkers and day trippers, it is a popular section, and, walking it, you can see why.

It’s also the Swaledale section that runs through many, many, many dry stone walls with many many many cow-houses (an old Viking farming method of keeping cows in houses with the hay over winter and often separated into sections for different family members). This made for an interesting landscape but also interesting walking when trying to squeeze through tiny gates in walls!

Still, with the sun and occasional afternoon shower, we made it into Reeth with relative ease, and pitched up at the cheapest site yet (orchard camping and caravans), ready for a hot shower and some food; excited for the apple turnovers and ambrosia custard we just bought in the shop ?.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0707s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb