C2C - Kirkby to Keld


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Kirkby Stephen
May 29th 2022
Published: May 29th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Feeling refreshed from our rest day, we were up early and rejoined the trail, via part of the ‘viaduct’ walk, ready for the 20km ahead of us. The trail, naturally it seems, starts by climbing up…and up… and up. I thought we’d done the steep hills but this mornings walk was definitely a couple hours more of uphill (thankfully it was then all
Downhill). Reaching the Nine Standards (9 old random pillars of dry stone, with no clear truthful explanation as to why they are there - I think they had a team building day of who could make the biggest & strongest tower) made it worth it though, with only the local sheep to keep us company. The weather had also changed from the rain and wind of previous days, to warm, sunny but cloudy and still; perfect for showing off the views right across the Yorkshire moors with the lakes in the distance. Beautiful.

You’d think we’d stay dry with that weather, but from the top, the trail continues over moorland and bog… lots and lots of bog. The peat there is being eroded quite quickly (pesky walkers) with some parts having stones laid out to try and help, but this soon stopped after the main attraction of the nine standards. Hopping and jumping got us so far, but there was no way round some bits and so our feet got wet (almost losing a whole leg at one point). A conveniently placed pile of rocks came at the right time though, to air the feet and for lunch with a view, before returning our feet to more bog, running alongside streams and random mini huts/shelters. The trail then bends to Ravens seat (little house / farm /seasonal cafe - wasn’t open ?), before curving around a hill top and down to a river into Keld.

A little and old village, Keld only has one lodge&pub and one tea room and campsite (which is spread across the village and popular with regular campers & families) but it also has a lot of history, which a info centre/museum helpfully portrays, and, to Paul’s excitement, lots and lots of waterfalls. After pitching up and getting some tea&cake, (green pack girl also arrived and seemed to remain in her tent once pitched up, and Scout man - met in Kirkby - also made it but pitched in another section), we wondered off down the local trails and surprisingly had the waterfalls to ourselves; stunning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0716s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb