C2C - Richmond to Danby Wiske


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Danby
June 1st 2022
Published: June 1st 2022
Edit Blog Post

After an enjoyable rest day in Richmond (yes-we enjoyed top gun!) we were off again; a 23km today but pretty flat at only 220elevation. Feeling semi-refreshed (Paul’s toe felt better but still a little red and felt a bit snotty) we were good to go but, after the supply top up, the bags felt very heavy! Maybe they’ll quickly feel lighter as we get back into the walking…maybe…hopefully.

Initially walking next to road (a busy one) and then pass a sticky sewers works, it wasn’t the nicest start. And whilst walking by the river and through farmers fields was pretty enough, and the church at Bolton-on-swale was a welcomed honesty snack stop (with memorial to a 165 year old buried there!) , the trail continued to use parts of roads pretty frequently and the flat landscape didn’t offer much variation to make it more interesting either.

We did enjoy some pretty gardens and a hot drink from the tea room at Kiplin Estate, but even after this, the trail continued to feel a little mundane. It continued through farmers fields who, particularly at the later end of the walk, obviously did not want the trail to be there, making navigating between staying off their land but also out of the stinging nettles a struggle. A tip for anyone doing this section: don’t wear shorts!

Reaching Danby Wiske was most welcomed, and a lovely surprise as Church Holne Campsite delivered a top notch site: decent tuck shop with honesty box, massive pitches with soft level ground, amazing showers, and cool camp kitchen with lots of helpful info and a friendly welcome. To top it off, apart from a brief rain shower near the start of the day, the weather has increasingly got sunnier and warmer, so, sitting in the free to use campers chairs, by our tent in the sun is feeling fabulous ☀️


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb