C2C - Danby to Osmotherly


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Danby
June 2nd 2022
Published: June 2nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

What’s that? A warming, golden light heating our green canopy up, whilst birds sing and sheep snort munching on grass…what a lovely morning! Soon followed with friendly good mornings and the quickest breaky (use of kettle in their camping kitchen) and it felt almost sad to not spend another night here: Church Holne Campsite in Danby Wiske is definitely the best campsite on the coast to coast trail.

Word of mouth spreads well here too as there was a Danish guy, walking it the other way, (weird right?) who had been recommended to stop here. Moody German girl was here too, but after a couple of attempts she warmed up a little to us (yet we always see her talking away to others!?), which was good seeing as we kept bumping into each-other on todays walk. We’ve also continued to pass and get passed by an American mum & daughter, an older American couple and a couple of newbies, like red pack girl who seems the most normal of this new lot so far.

Anyways, with the sun shining brightly we set off slowly this morning (not til 9am!) and began a very similar trail to yesterday: roads, farmers fields, nettles & brambles (we wore trousers today to manage this better), wooded tracks and…more roads. We even had to cross a major A road with no safer way other then to pray and lightly jog when there was a gap. The only good thing about this bit was the Shell garage which had a very welcomed selection of lovely cold drinks and some shaded seating. We also got attacked by cows today, maybe it was my leggings or maybe they fancied a fruit pastel too, but either way, they covered the footpath , then follows very closely behind us (we tried so hard not to run) all the way to the foot bridge!

Then, out of almost nowhere, a hill! An actual big, wooded hill! With my feet kind of grateful for the change in angle, my legs&lungs decided to moan instead, but, not being long, we soon made it up. We had a peep inside an old church (lady’s chapel) and then headed down to Osmotherly; well, to Cote Ghyll YHA and campsite actually for a slightly confusing check in. But we’d made it! Ready for another rest day tomorrow… maybe a little close to the last one but, well, it is the Queens jubilee… oh and Paul’s birthday I suppose! A day for exploring, resting & celebrating ahead ?


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb