Rocky path to Pendeen.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Perranporth
September 6th 2022
Published: September 6th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Really we are in Pendeen but it’s a hamlet and too small to register on Travel Blog. Tomorrow we should be in Perranporth after rounding Lands End.
BIG day today. About 25 km but very rocky walking. We do not have many photos as proof as the weather was so poor that getting the iPad or camera out was a risky operation.

It rained from the moment we set off in St Ives and we endured 3 or 4 quite drenching periods but between times the wind was strong enough to dry us out pretty well. Changing socks helps but really conditions were fairly bleak. Couple that with the track being so rocky that progress was slow. There was no way we could go faster as it would have been dangerous. Jill I have the perfect test for Colin’s new ankle, just let me know and I’ll pass on the details. The guide book warned us but it took us 9 hours of pretty solid walking to complete the day’s itinerary. That’s a real 9 hours too, no icy-poles, no Cornish pasties, no nothing (well some chocolate digestive biscuits).

The pub here has a reputation for good food. It’s just a hamlet pub and really very local but a taxi driver and a couple of walkers mentioned that their curries and pies were very good. I had a rabbit pie with the rabbit cooked in cider and finished with Cornish cream. There was not a lot of evidence of Cornish cream but there was plenty of rabbit, some ham and evidence of cider. All very good and the accompanying veggies were also home cooked and pretty good. The irony of serving carrots with rabbit pie is not lost on me! Julie had a chicken and leek pie that also just missed its description but tasted pretty good. Two guys on the same table as us were enthusiastic about the curries too so the reputation may be deserved. We also shared a treacle tart which was OK but not as nutty as expected.

Big day today, big day tomorrow with another 25 km walk so I need to read up on a few things.

So caio for now, see you soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb