Padstein!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Padstow
August 31st 2022
Published: August 31st 2022
Edit Blog Post

Padstow or because Rick Stein is so ubiquitous and omnipresent here it is referred to as Padstein! I have enjoyed his pasty significantly more than I thought I would. His recipe stated he uses swede but I’m pretty sure it was parsnip with meat pieces. The meat is cut not minced and it was pleasantly peppered so I thought the pasty was very good. Pasties are everywhere here, there are 3 consecutive shops all selling baked goods and all specialising in ‘real Cornish pasties’. They are all in Mill Square, Padstow, Cornwall so their claims may be legitimate. Everyone here has a pasty, an ice-cream or some fish and chips. As far as I know Rick Stein does not make ice cream although he does sell it. The line at his fish and chip deli was scarily long but the deli queue was OK. The deli also sold scotch eggs, fish balls (don’t say it!) and lots of good looking edible treats. We are off to his premiere restaurant tonight so take away treats were not even contemplated.

We walked to a natural sea pool and had a swim today. It was about 8 km away so really just right for our rest day here in Padstow. We have 20 km tomorrow but few hills so it will ease us back into walking again. We walk that distance but are then taxied back to the same accommodation which is fine as it’s meant that I can wash and dry some clothes and particularly some walking socks (they may walk by themselves if I hadn’t washed them!).

Been quite impressed with the town, it is very old, very interesting although very crowded. Between about 10 o’clock and 6 o’clock there are people everywhere. After that they must go home or go somewhere as even the pubs are relatively quite and comfortable. Our pub is grade 2 listed (just means old) but the services are good and staff pleasant and friendly, except the one waitress who we are slowly winning over. Staff shortages exist everywhere here. We have stayed at pubs where the bar has shut at 6 o’clock! There are signs everywhere asking for workers and many are not requiring experience. The major requirement is the ability to commence immediately.

Time to shower and dress for our Rick Stein adventure.

See you soon, Caio for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.28s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb