The celebrity tour section of the SWCP.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Padstow
August 30th 2022
Published: August 30th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Heading away from the legend of King Arthur and the tacky tourist stuff that accompanies him. It cost £20 to enter and really most of the complex is in ruins except for the new bridge which is spectacular and the ‘Arthurian’ sculpture that we glimpsed from afar. We were lucky to get so close to the bridge and that was only because we were early and the ticket booth had not opened. We just went in until they came then obviously left.
There was a small grass fire right on the path which the fire fighters were busy making safe and putting out. We thought it quite insignificant but you can see smoke in some of the photos and the smoke was clearly visible for miles (literally) and even the day after it was still visible on the horizon. It made the nighttime news and we heard several people remark on it.

Surprise, surprise the day was full of ups and downs. The hills are brutal and slow progress considerably. If we do 2 miles an hour we think that’s good. The coastline scenery is spectacular though, although we have seen 120 miles of it!

Leaving Arthur our next celebrity is Doc Martin. As expected he and the show are everywhere in Port Isaac. It’s a pretty little village and it does still work as a village (we listened to some Cornish fishermen trying to understand 2 consecutive words, we failed) but it is dominated by the spectre of the TV show.





Today we walked to Rick Stein’s town, Padstow. Locals regard him as a bit of a ring in and the fact he own half the town has not endeared himself to some. The town is very pretty, very old and very Cornish and I’m looking forward to having a walk around. We have an extra day here so we can go to Rick Stein’s fancy restaurant (he also has a cafe, fish and chip shop, a fish caravan and a pastry outlet that I know of). The walk here was 19 km but without the monster hills we made really good time and we both found the walk relatively easy. As the tide was out we were able to Beach walk several sections and that too cut a little distance and of course it’s flat. The last bit necessitates taking a ferry across the Camel River (who names a river, the Camel?). At £3 for 3 minutes I’m in the wrong business.

Some photos remain stubbornly inverted so just turn your device 180 degrees to compensate because I can’t fix them. There are quite a few shots (35) because I did not blog yesterday. Thanks to the one reader who mentioned that! I’m going to have to tag Andrew again so his Facebook friends read along and start to wonder what’s going on.

Anyway cider time.

Caio for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb