Swiss Trekking Part 2


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
May 22nd 2011
Published: August 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 46.547, 7.89267

Yet another clear morning for trekking. This time it was going to be a longer day, so we prepared food and drinks and even borrowed some much needed sunscreen seeing as we were burnt from the previous day. Jeremy donned a pillow case from the hostel as a bandanna to protect his sunburnt forehead and I swapped my shorts for Jeremy's baggy pants as I was burnt on the back of the legs.
We set off at 8am with the aim to reach the lake of Oberhornee. We headed down one valley and crossed the river before starting a long hike upwards on the other side for the better part of a few hours through the trees and up the hill past the tree line.
On the other side of the valley was a magnificent view of Gimmelwald and Murren and the green valley below. Every time I stopped to take a photo we would get higher and the view would be more impressive, so another photo would be needed.

I couldn't believe how we hardly passed a person on both walks, the previous days hike we had only encountered two people. This time it was slightly more. We got to the sign that diverts us up further to the shark fin shaped rock AKA Tanzboden. After about 20 minutes we reached the top which was a small plateau, nothing more than a sign, probably for camping, and an explosive 360 degree view of looming ice capped mountains and green hills. There is always a sense of achievement when you get to spots like these to know that you slugged it out hard and in the end it was earned with the satisfaction of pushing yourself. That's how I felt the previous day as well, even though we couldn't make it up to the Schilthorn, nothing gives you more satisfaction to know that you took the effort and courage to walk there, up hills and through snow. It sure beats the hell out of catching the cable car the whole way up at an inflated price.
And nothing made that feeling more true when we pushed it to the lake.

After having a small bite to eat in front of a dominating landscape we headed back down and just in time as a group of about 6 Americans got to the top as we started to head down. Perfect timing and great to enjoy it to ourselves. We got back on track and headed towards Hotel Obersteinberg, from there you can cut back to Stechelberg through the valley, or go further to a small lake called the Oberhornsee at a tad over 2000m. You feel yourself being enclosed by sheer rock cliffs and powerful glaciers as you reach the end of the valley. Another sign gives you a chance to head back down along the valley to Stechelberg, but we decided to push further on to the lake as Jeremy had heard it was worth it. One final push up hill, going off trail due to the track being covered completely in snow and some sightings of Chamois and Marlots and we were there.

I was surprised at the small size, but stunned by its colour and clarity. The water was as clear as glass and the colour was a faint dark blue which seemed to scream bitter coldness but pure and untouched.
This was the furtherest point of our trek and what a place to get to. I could feel the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that we made it. The scenery was spectacular in every direction and you could almost forget there was any civilization nearby. The sun was out and spirits were high as we stayed there for a better part of one hour. Jeremy and I couldn't fight the urge to jump in, although brief and mind numbingly cold, it was unbelievably refreshing.
We had our lunch and beers which were cooled in the lake and enjoyed the scenery and seclusion.

We headed back via a different path but it looped around to the start of the climb to the lake. We saw the bags of the 6 Americans although we didn't see them. So we guessed they were at the lake. Yet another perfect timing. The clouds were also rolling in. We headed back to Stechelberg via the trail along the valley. We diverted once to have a look at a nice waterfall and then quickly made our way back in to civilization. We caught the cable car back to Murren to get some money out from the Atm, but it rejected my card, typical. We arrived back just after 6 making it a 10 hr day but worth every minute.
Needless to say we were buggered.

The following morning we took the train to Grindelwald down the another valley. From here you can catch a train that cuts in to the mountains and takes you 3400m to a viewing platform for the Jungfrau. Grindelwald and the surrounding area is beautiful as well, dotted houses make their way up the hills and mountains hover above. We were both pretty sore and after strolling through the town center we crashed under a tree in someones backyard and relaxed and enjoyed the warm sun. We were only there for a couple of hours before catching the train to Interlaken where we stayed in the balmers tent village. Most of the day we relaxed, played some hacky sack, fussball and table tennis and had a couple of drinks at the main hostel later that night.

I really enjoyed Gimmelwald and the amazing treks and scenery it had to offer, it's a place that makes you postpone further travel because you want to stay for longer. The seclusion and slow pace of life will surely drag you back, not only to this area but the Swiss, Italian and French alps. I am already looking forward to coming back. To be able to spend this time with Jeremy has been a blessing and unforgettable.
It was time to leave the slow life for the fast life and head to Zurich.






Additional photos below
Photos: 78, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



31st May 2011

Epic shot mate!

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb