Garden parties and other fun


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
July 14th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 47.369, 8.53803

ThereNOTE: As seems to be par for the course.............we are behind in getting stories up and out about our adventures so will focus on the highlights of our time in Switzerland. Because Switzerland has such a excellent public transportation system, we only rode in a car one time and that was pulling a trailer with three kayaks and the rest of the time we walked, biked, bus, tram, train and boat!

Arrived in Zurich very tired from our early morning departure from Paris and our last month of dawn to dusk adventures in Kruger so did some catching up on our much needed rest.

Our first adventure was a bike ride with Stefan down to the Zurichsee and biking around part of the lake. Managed without incident but was a little scary right at the end of the ride and cars coming at you from everywhere to say nothing of the tram!

Rutistrasse Garden Party
Stefan and Marianne had organized a garden party downstairs at their place. Since we were there last, a large tree has been taken out of the yard, and they have brought in dirt, rocks and made a nice gathering area downstairs. All the residents were invited and brought
something to eat. Marianne was grilling all types of sausages found in Switzerland complete with Stubbs Barbeque sauce for an added kick.

Lots of nice food, interesting people, fine wine and great conversation and a fire after the food was finished.

Another garden party.....
This time bus, train, bus and short walk to the home of some people Stefan had worked with. We had met them on a previous trip and this party was just as interesting as the other one had been. They live in an historic house where there are all kinds of restrictions on what can be done inside and out of the house but was a very interesting house to walk through.

Both Felix and Anna are interesting people and are working on the reintroduction of the bear and wolf to Switzerland. We were a little bit of a novelty to the people at the party in Laura's opinion. Many of the people at the party only spoke very limited English and did not really attempt to talk to us. Not a problem since we do not speak Swiss German! There were two couples that spoke excellent English and one of the men had actually worked for a Swiss
company in the US and talked to us about his experiences in the United States.

Nice food, and a band playing background music and then a sing a long complete with a couple of English songs, including My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean!

Boat Ride on the Limmat and picnic on Insel Ufenau

Beautiful day for a boat ride and this one was very special. This boat was one of the old steam powered paddlewheelers that was actually in operation. Since it was a beautiful day, we sat outside but did go inside to watch the actual pistons moving up and down as we headed upriver.

Got off the boat at the island Insel Ufenau and checked out the churches that were located on the island and then walked over to a beautiful spot and had a picnic complete with two very nice bottles of Primitivo, a new taste for us in wines.

Caught the boat back to Zurich and had the good fortune to get to watch the full moon rise over the river and mountains in the background.

Street Food Festival

Stefan was out on family business and Marianne took us to a Street Food Festival located near the railyards. There was
food from all over the world as well as beer, wine, and live music. Portions were small and prices high but did enjoy taking in the scene.

Boat ride to Rapperswil

When we were last in Zurich, we had gone with Stefan to the Gipsgrueb to check out an old folding boat owned by Michael that he and Viktor were thinking about buying and restoring. Fast forward to this year and the boat is fully functional and we were all going to get to take it out for a spin.

Had taken the boat to Rapperswil and then walked the rest of the way to where the boat launch would take place . As we walked along came past a place that featured among other things, camel rides!

Got to an area with a long dock and a short ramp into the Limmat. Viktor's family has evidently had property in the area for quite some time and actually have an old boat house right by this dock. Put some of our things in there while we were out on the boat. There was a oar boat in the boat house that had also been restored by VIktor.

There were families of coots with
very cute babies learning how to feed themselves as well as eared grebes. Had an enjoyable time taking the boat for a spin and back again. After everyone had a chance to take out the boat, we then had a boat ride in the oar powered boat with Viktor doing the rowing.

Marianne, Anna and Viktor had planned ahead and had us a appertif of cheeses, nuts, and champagne. Very nice. Headed back and over to their house for a dinner of spaghetti with a delicious homemade red sauce, salad and wine. Took the bus/train back to Zurich.







Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb