More beautiful scenery


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
September 24th 2010
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 46.6855, 7.8559

We got up early on Thursday and drove to Lauterbrunnen. It looks a little bit like Yosemite, with vertical granite walls on each side of a flat valley. We took a cable car up to Gimmelwald. And I do mean up, almost straight up 2500 feet up the vertical granite wall. Gimmelwald is a small hamlet at the top of the cable car. Very cute.
We walked around the hamlet for a while and then headed to the cable car for the second leg to Murren. This is a larger village right on the edge of the cliff. We walked around there and then took a funicular to Allmendhubel about 1300 feet higher up. What views!! Snow-capped peaks everywhere, small villages in the valley, absolutely gorgeous!
We stopped at a waterfall that has worn a canyon in the rock. It was OK. It was hard to see the water, because the canyon was so deep. Also, the pics I tool didn't come out very well because it was too dark.
We drove home and had cheeseburgers, fries and beers at the only Hooters in Switzerland. Got to love those hooters.
This morning we got up and it was cloudy. The weather report called for rain in the afternoon. We decided to drive toward Thun and see the 3 castles in the area. They were very well preserved, and all had excellent museums in them. By the time we left the last museum it was raining pretty good. It rained the rest of the afternoon and into the evening. We went out to an Italian restaurant near our hotel and had another excellent meal. So now, a little reading, a little TV and then to bed.
Tomorrow we will rest up and buy some things and then on Sunday we leave for Bern, the Capitol of Switzerland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



24th September 2010

Wow...can't say much more than that.
24th September 2010

That one in the middle looks pretty nasty.

Tot: 0.348s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb