Day 11: Mulhouse to Basal (Huningue, France) 42km


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Basel
July 15th 2012
Published: July 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 11: Mulhouse to Huningue (near Basal Switzerland). We pedaled a long day in the wind getting lost several times again with sprinkling rain on and off all day. Before leaving Mulhouse we headed to the historical section. It was Sunday morning and there was barely anyone around. It was absolutely beautiful with the buildings all painted up and the town kept pristine. Each place we visit is more lovely than the last. I am pinching myself for all we are seeing! We stopped at the train station prior to leaving where poor Denis has to return to collect 50 cents to use the facilities. It is so odd to have to pay to use the washroom. We had some pretty good paths, especially along the canal and enjoyed the day. Also along the route we noted many of the houses are adorned with art work as seen in the picture of the two birds.

We found the campground in Huningue, France, setup and headed to the city of Basal. There was a lovely Australian couple, Peter & Colleen that was setting up at the same time as us. We enjoyed meeting people with a similar perspective and understanding of why we are doing what we are doing. We crossed the bridge to what we thought was France to Switzerland but it turns out we were in Germany. We then went across a bridge to Switzerland again and it was a nightmare for traffic & I thought I was going to die. I seem to be getting pretty used to near misses & we ended up heading back before making it to Basal. We then headed to a beautiful restaurant to celebrate our 29th Wedding Anniversary dinner. It looked over the Rhine River towards France. It is pretty cool to have cycled in three countries in one day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



22nd July 2012

Nice !!!
Good blog and pics !!! Glad you are still having a good time and weather pretty good ! enjoy..... all the best.....char & john
27th July 2012
UploadedFile19

Vous êtes pas mal beaux et semblez vous amuser beaucoup. Tendresses R. E.

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb