Day 12: July 16- Basal (Huningue) to Mohlin Switzerland 40km


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West
July 16th 2012
Published: July 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 13: Huningue to Mohlin Switzerland- Prior to leaving the area we headed into Basal which was again more amazing than the last town. It is a big city and very cosmopolitan mixed with the old. The train system is amazing and it borders the three countries and so there is a wide variety of languages heard. The train system is something else and I would have loved to have traveled around a little on transit just for fun. Most remarkable was when we rolled into the downtown a girl immediately came and asked, what our 'project' was. I responded we were just touring, she then offered us a place to stay if wanted and gave us her info if we needed anything. Iris was just lovely and we have to say that it really cheered us to meet such a nice and giving person as soon as we entered this huge city.

Today was a tough day of riding. Lots of ups and downs and the discovery that the Swiss trails are not always well marked. The upside of the day was definitely, truly seeing Switzerland and the incredibly quaint little villages just as on the postcards. We saw and heard cows with bells coming to be milked. The town of Rheinfelden was absolutely breathtaking and definitely a topper so far. We stopped in a small village for wine and beer nearing the end of the day and it was just lovely. We passed by and visited briefly the Augusta Raurica Ruins which was again remarkable with the history and ruins. We rolled into the campsite to realize we had 4 broken spokes (gravel trails and hills were not kind to the back wheel with so much weight - not me! We are actually losing weight despite the baked goodies and a bottle of wine each evening! So the plan was to hit the bike shop in the morning and get the spokes repaired. It was also a VERY hot ride and we hit the pool beside the campground after riding. We also met a lovely French couple and their 2 children at the campsite(Maria, Christian, Sydoney & Mateo. Some cards and wine with a nice light supper from the grocery & an early night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb