We felt like judges on the "Iron Chef"


Advertisement
Europe » Spain
August 30th 2007
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.9818, 2.8237Up for breakfast - toast, croissants, lots of yogurt and TONS of juice to combat my dehydration. Off to Girona by car, with a stop in Tarragona. We took the long, scenic route (i.e. - I got us lost). It should have been simple getting out of town, but it wasn't. We finally made our way to the oceanfront and according to the map, the ramp to the highway was right at the ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

vv
v

Curry smoked prawn with Comte and onion. It was served in its own brain cream, with french cheeses and herbs. The herbs contrasted nicely with the rich sauce, but the overall flavours seemed to compete with each other. Very unique textures. A dab of the famous foam that originated at El Bulli looked and tasted like Chinese 1000 year old eggs. When ordering, Mary had asked that there be no rabbit or lamb in the dishes. I think we now regretted that - we were getting sick of raw seafood and would've welcomed lamb or rabbit!
ww
w

Skatefish with fennel and olive. Yech - this could've been good without the olive sauce. The fish was nicely done - tender and perfectly cooked. They must have an army of dish washers to keep up with the cutlery changes with each course. Mary was getting impatient and wished that they would "get it over with!" She'll make somebody a very demanding wife, one day. It was kind of like that Mr. Bean episode where he ordered steak tartare, hated it, and tried to get rid of it by hiding it in flower pots, sugar containers, and even the waiter's pants. It was painfully slow, but I guess that's part of the experience.
xx
x

Pigeon with red fruits, citrics, and spices. Tender with a nice, subtle flavour. Served with berries and some kind of jelly. One of the best dishes. Things were definitely looking up.
yy
y

Piglet with melon and grapefruit. The melon was incredible. An awesome dish - tender, juicy, with crisp skin.
zz
z

Adaption of the perfume DKNY. A little pretentious and conceited, but incredible nonetheless. We were instructed to eat it and remember the aroma as we sniff the accompanying perfume samples. Flavoured with honey, cinnamon, and a lime infusion the little pearls of apple, pineapple, and melon were unbelievably fragrant. We wanted more! In a lot of ways the meal was a bit arrogant ... but I'm glad we came. For me, this was the tastiest dish of the night. A close second was the beautiful Spanish woman sitting across the restaurant.
zaza
za

Lactic dessert (dulce de leche, sheep milk ice cream, sheep cottage cheese foam, sheep's yoghurt, and lactic cloud). This was surprisingly good with a surprising number of textures. The lactic cloud was actually an incredible cotton candy. The dish was multi-layered, and there seemingly was always something new to find, like the toffee at the centre of it all. A great finish to the meal ...
zbzb
zb

... but wait! Chocolates! With balsamic vinegar, with banana (good), white chocolate with jasmine (good flavour), and a raspberry encrusted in glassy sugar.
zczc
zc

Mary paying the bill. As the waiter returned the credit card, he glanced down at the name, confused. He was probably thinking "What kind of cheap b@stard is he, making the woman pay?" My response - fake marriage, fake chivalry.
zdzd
zd

Another picture for our upcoming practical joke. Hee hee ... so devious and evil ...



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb