ALICANTE, SPAIN. Amazing food.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
July 25th 2014
Published: June 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.346, -0.484756

ALICANTE
Beach, tomatoes for breakfast and even more food, castle on the hill.
Alicante is defiantly another pace from Barcelona.The average age of the people in Alicante seemed older or with younger children.
The old area of the town is a great place to walk around in the narrow streets with the front doors of the houses opening up right onto the streets.The large town square in front of the town hall is always alive with people, tables and chairs from the restaurants surround the edges.
There was also a stage set up for a concert and then on the weekend there was a small flee market selling all sorts of old things.
In a smaller square just a few blocks away you can have dinner under the stars while you wait for your food to arrive you will be entertained by some local buskers singing and playing guitar.
There is a small beach which becomes very crowded later on in the day.
On our morning walk we would see all of the older folk walking or sitting on their chairs at the edge of the water talking and most of them swam.
Later on in the day the old folks came back with their grandchildren and then headed off around noon to get lunch ready. The teenagers usually came after lunch after their sleep in I guess to catch up with friends.
There is a very big shipping dock that had a number of small boats and even larger yachts. There is also a Casino at the end of the pier with lots of night clubs and restaurants that look up to the fort on the hill.
From the fort you can see the old city close by and the new city fading into the distance.
We walked threw a tunnel to get to the elevator to get to the top. This elevator only worked in the afternoon. There are steps that take you up to the top but not many people used them.
The fort at the top of the hill is really impressive.
It dominates the whole area and makes Alicante very special.
There is also a bull fighting ring in Alicante. We went for a tour of the arena. There was a museum with lots of ornate costumes of the bull fighters and also lots of stuffed bull heads on the wall. I'm not too sure I could actually go and see a bull fight but they still take place there at the arena.
The market place is also filled with so much yummy food and I bought a paella pan so I could cook paella at home.
Alicante is a great place.
We had smashed tomatoes with olive oil on toast for breakfast with a coffee and it was really cheap plus all, of the jamon we ate with the cheese and the potatoes.
Absolute heaven.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb