What a welcome


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
February 5th 2017
Published: February 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Hi All

Really must think of something to call you, all in good time, a job for another day, manana, manana!

Having got the caravan back from the repair shop five days before, along with a shiny new axle and a few other repairs, we left Costa Cheadle Hulme on Friday 27th Jan. We had a heavy frost the night before and by the time we left the temperature had risen to the dizzy heights of zero degrees.

As usual our first stop was at Thornbury, Bristol to meet up with Jack (three year old grandson) who thoughtfully brought his parents along for a trip around Slimbridge wildfowl trust before a leisurely pub lunch/tea. It rained all day Sunday, leaving Portsmouth around ten that evening for a calm trip to Bilbao arriving first thing Tuesday morning.

First stop was at Lacabrara, about 30 miles north of Madrid, where it was chilly so we went out for a quick walk and came back from a long walk having got a bit lost. Wednesday mid afternoon saw us at Fortuna in 19 degrees, bit north of Murcia, having successfully navigated our way around Madrid’s motorway system, which to the greater part was empty along with most other Spanish motorways.

And Thursday mid morning we arrived at our winter quarters at Aguilas and what a welcome. I seem to know more people at this campsite than I do in Cheadle Hulme, absolutely brilliant. So Thursday and Friday was mostly spent catching up with people interspersed with setting up the caravan and visiting the La Piramide cafe for coffee and so back to the usual Aguilas routine.

So why Aguilas? Well it’s a smallish typically Spanish resort surrounded by horticulture, which probably does not see a non Spanish tourist during the summer season. During the winter the local campsites are full of northern European motorhomes and caravans, but the town remains quiet with a typical Spanish feel and not an English breakfast or Irish pub in sight! Another bonus of course are the Spanish prices with coffee at just over a Euro and a pint of the local beer not much more. As well as Brits our companions on the campsite are French, Dutch, German, Swiss and Norwegians so as you can imagine our linguistic skills come to the fore, shame we don’t have any!

The one thing we all have in common is the love of the simplicity of this way of life and the Spanish winter sun. Another thing we notice about itinerant GOGs, especially the male ones is the ability to nap in the afternoon. As our friend Geoff describes it “undertaking a detailed inspection of the inside of my eyelids.”

Anyway I digress; I was trying to describe Aguilas and the campsite. The campsite is small, about 60 pitches and very close to the sea, crossing the road from the campsite you can walk right which takes you from beaches to headlands to coves etc. for miles all of which have their own individual identity and appeal.

Walking left across a beach we are straight into the town. There are three bays, the first two having long promenades and cafes a third an old railway pier where the local mines and quarries used in days gone by to load their extracts. There is an old castle, actually more like a hill top out post for a small military unit to keep a sea watch, which today is a great viewing point, a fishing harbour where boats land their catch for the daily town fish market and the compulsory small pleasure boat mariner. Our nearest café is about a half hour walk and we seldom go there without meeting people from the campsite. The town also boasts a magnificent square with some of the largest trunked trees I have ever seen, two windmills and as it’s built on various small hills, has loads of old steps and alleyways with quirky houses etc. Slowly dawning that I cannot do it justice, so just look at the photos!

Well, still not sure what to call you but I will work on that for next time, until we do something interesting we’ll sign off from a windy but pleasant 20 degrees at Aguilas.

Take care

Terry and Jane (long suffering editor)


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



5th February 2017

Green,green,green with envy !!!
Hope you are all enjoying Aguilas - Shame we can't be with you but lovely to hear from you. We have had a very busy six months but finally moved house last week ( to the ground floor !) Going to Surges on the train at the end of Feb but hope to catch up with you all at some point.
11th February 2017

I can see the appeal! Plenty of sun and ozone!
13th February 2017

Positively green with envy.
What a wonderful time you must be having. We have been shivering in sub-zero temperatures recently! The sun is shining today, but oh! its cold! Glad to tell you all is well this end. J is still making progress, and does bits and pieces to help me now. He really is doing remarkably well. Keep on with your blog - it works beautifully. Love to you both from us. Take care.

Tot: 0.363s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb