Flora, fauna and the carnival


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
March 13th 2017
Published: March 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Dear, still not got a name for you, possibly thought of Dot, as in “dear old thing”, but then thought of those who would unsubscribe because they don’t like the commentator Blowers. What do you think, have you ever wanted to be called Dot?

Now let’s set the expectations for this update, I was going to wait until something interesting happened, but then the rain arrived and with it the opportunity to blog if not riveting blog content. So where have your intrepid travelling friends/family got to now? Nowhere new, still here at Aguilas!

Before we arrived, Costa Calida has had one of its worst winters since about 1949, very wet and cold, for here. The upside of all the rain and not so much sun is that the countryside looks very different, quite green with a vast array of wild flowers which we have never seen before, as ever photos don’t do it justice. Another consequence of the storms this winter is the movement and washing away of sand from many of the local beaches which has caused quite an industry of sand replacement, takes playing with toy diggers on the beach to a whole new level.

Since we arrived, until today, the weather has been good, with temperatures last week in the mid to high 20s which is more like June than March, some brave folk actually swimming and photo evidence of Jane paddling.

We took a trip into the Sierra Espuna Mountains, a bit further inland from Lorca. Our first stop was at the La Santa monastery, which is now mostly a hotel but has a small church with an impressive carved wooden roof and some interesting plaster murals and a walk up to a Christ statue with amazing views. From there we went onto Aledo which is a very old hill top settlement where we were escorted around by the town cat! We spent the rest of the day in the mountain national park with great views, derelict ice storage huts and typical mountain roads, average speed of about 15 mile per hour.

On another trip we came home via the Sierra de Almenara along a single track mountain road where we had to stop to move a tortoise, out of our way. We later found out that, while they are native to the area, they are an endangered species so even more grateful that we did not run it over!

One of the main annual events at Aguilas is the carnival fortnight, which along with the usual processions, ceremonies and the re-enactment of the slaying of an historical local tyrant, brings out whole families and visitors in fancy dress, all ages, no themes, anything goes, creating an amazing atmosphere, see photos. Also, much to Pippin’s disapproval, the carnival has a constant background of very loud music; someone told me that the Spanish are the second noisiest nation, which I can believe when they get together. The site also has a carnival fancy dress party, along with loud music, which we went as local produce, a pepper and a strawberry, photo evidence supplied.

We are moving on at the end of the month to Elche for a few days to catch up with Jim, who I think must be spending his 17th caravanning winter in Spain and then on to Calpe where Claire, daughter, will join us for a few days.

OK, that’s about it from us, we have been back to some of our more favourite haunts, but have spoken of those in previous emails etc. I probably should report that the men and women are still pretty equal on the boules games. Friends keep on coming and going - Michelle and Gary home sheep proofing their garden, Rosemary and Mike heading north while Maureen and Pete have only just arrived and of course old friends here, new friends to make and absent friends missed.

Take care

Terry and Jane (long suffering editor)


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



13th March 2017

Aww.
Aww, Tel, where is the extensive blog that I was looking forward to? I usually send them to my aged aunt, who, as you know, is in a care home and usually pissed. She says that she reads every word but then can't remember any of it so reads it again, then can't remember, ad infinitum. Keep up the good work...and the blog. Love. Peter.

Tot: 0.286s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb