Port Soller, week 2


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
May 15th 2012
Published: May 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Fira FestivalFira FestivalFira Festival

Dana buying olives and fish
Saturday, May 12th

We can't believe how beautiful the weather is, consistently everyday. Quiet day today took a short hike up to a look out point and spent the balance of day hanging out around the beech and apartment.

Sunday, May 13th

Walked into Soller. There is an annual fair called ES Fira which is quite similar to small town Agricultural Fairs in Canada. There were lots of stalls selling handicrafts etc, and a small Midway for the kids. The only difference to Canada is the activities are spread throughout the ancient cobblestone streets of Soller.

Walked back to Port Soller and hiked up to another look out point which had an impressive building called Meleta Refugi. It had great facilities for hikers and family picnics. We'll probably go back there with a picnic basket one evening to watch the Sunset over the Mediteranean Sea. How romantic is that!

Monday, May 14th

It's Dana's Birthday today and it's also a holiday here so many of the shops and restaurants are closed. We'll celebrate his Birthday tomorrow night at the restaurant next door to the Apartment. It is rated in the top ten of Majorca.
Fira FestivalFira FestivalFira Festival

local entertainment

The Holiday (ES Fira)is a companion event to one that takes place the second Monday of May which is called ES Firo. It celebrates the defeat of the Moors by the Christians. The highlight of the day are mock battles down on Beech, the last one in front of our apartment. It was quite a noisy affair with lots of firecrackers and shotguns(shooting blanks)

The days festivities culminate in the square in Soller which we didn't attend as it was already past our bedtime.

Tuesday, May 15th

Another beautiful day in Paradize. Big hike today to Diea, a return trip is about 5 hours. It's a very charming village nestled along the Mediterrean coast line. The hike was a workout as the trail is very rocky with many steep climbs. We had a relaxing lunch at a terrace restaurant in Diea before we began the long trek back to the apartment.

Arrived back at around 5:30 p.m. Debra took me out for my birthday dinner at ES Passeig in Port Soller which was absolutely one of the best dinners we've had anywhere.

Wednesday, May 16th

We rented a car and drove 52 km along
FiraFiraFira

Anyone know what this is?
the winding road to Pollenca and Alcudia. This was the first cool and overcast day but it cleared later in the day. Both cities are on the Western Coast of the Island and larger than Soller.

Port Pollenca which is about 5 km from the town, has a long beautiful beech and the area appears very well developed with a lot of Hotels, Restaurants, etc. It was quite busy the day we were there.

Alcudia was a Roman outpost with large sections of the stone wall around the town still in place. It is now a very well developed tourist area. Scouted out the Alcanada Golf course which Dana is playing tomorrow.

Took the 18 km drive to Cap Formentor. This was probably the most "hair raising" drive you can imagine, although the view of the coastline was worth it.

Drove back to Port Soller through Palma and stopped in at a large Carrefour to pick up supplies for the rest of our stay.

Thursday, May 17th

Finally got to golf! Debra went with me to walk the scenic, beautiful, Alcanada golf course in Port d'Alcudia. The course is owned by the Porsche Family,
El FiroEl FiroEl Firo

On the beach ready for the invasion
Stuttgard, Germany and meanders along the coastline in a very exclusive neighbourhood called Alcanada.

We hooked up with 3 Germans and ended up having dinner and drinks after the game which was entertaining and a good time.

Although it was a good day, I should have gone hiking based on the way I played golf.

Friday, May 17th

Last day of a 3 day car rental. We drove over to the Caves of the Dragon which is on the East side of the Island. These were facinating and would have been worth the 24 Euros to see if they had given more in depth background of the caves. Instead, they provided a "hokey" live classical music concert performed from a row boat on the lake in the cave. They should get Walt Disney with their presentation.

Drove back to the apartment through Palma, Andratx, Valdemosa, Deia wended was another hair raising drive on 52 km of narrow, winding road. Did stop at a cliff side restaurant for snack which helped calm the nerves.








Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

El FiroEl Firo
El Firo

The moors attack
El FiroEl Firo
El Firo

The final battle
Walk to DeiaWalk to Deia
Walk to Deia

Guest house San Mico along the way
Deia WalkDeia Walk
Deia Walk

Local art in Deia
PollencaPollenca
Pollenca

Square in small town of Pollenca
AlcudiaAlcudia
Alcudia

Walls around the old town of Alcudia
Cap de FormentorCap de Formentor
Cap de Formentor

Dana says drive should be named Tormentor
El CanadaEl Canada
El Canada

Looks like the east coast back home
GolfingGolfing
Golfing

Golfing and dinner with our German friends
GolfingGolfing
Golfing

Sometimes some of the best scenery can be found here


Tot: 0.359s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0829s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb