Port Soller Week 3


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Balearic Islands » Majorca
May 21st 2012
Published: May 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

PalmaPalmaPalma

view of Palma from cast ill
Saturday, Sunday, Monday, - May 19th, 20th, and 21st.

The weather has turned cooler with more clouds. We've had a couple of overnight thunder showers, however, the afternoons have been clearing.

Quiet days just hanging around the apartment learning how to relax! Dana's better at this than Debra. Planning to go for our major hike tomorrow to Tuenti which is about a 5 hour hike to the north and we catch a boat to come back. Should have lots of pictures.

Tuesday, May 22nd

The water was too rough today and the boat that would have brought us back from our long hike was cancelled.

We took the train to Palma to see Belver Castle which once was a Roman installation. Debra wanted it recorded that I made her walk to the Castle from the Train Station and then she counted 500 stairs to get to the top.

Belver Castle was fully restored in the 1700's and used as a military installation. Today it's a museum of Palma and also holds concerts and other performances. Of course it's the highest point in the city with great views of the harbour, as the pictures will attest.

Back on the mid-afternoon train, stopped in Soller for Tapas and walked the 3km to the apartment.

Wednesday, May 23rd.

We're off on the longest hike yet to Tuen, which is a 5 hour trek(one way) through the hills (big hills) that meander up the Mediterraenan coastline. The scenery was spectacular (see pictures) but this was by far one of the most difficult hikes.

We returned home by boat which was a bit choppy but enjoyable. Arrived back to the apartment, tired and hungry so it was an early night. We barely made it until sunset

Thursday, May 24th

Rented a car today to go back to Valdemossa which is a beautiful town in which Michael Douglas has a home. He also developed a museum of Mallorca which we chose not to visit.

Did tour the Monastery that once hosted Frederic Chopin and his lover George Sand(a famous female writer) Of course the Monastery had been shut down by then as all organized religious groups were outlawed on Mallorca for part of the 1800's. The Monastery was purchased by a French businessman who rented the rooms to Chopin.

Had a lunch in
walk to tuentewalk to tuentewalk to tuente

Who's who?
the courtyard of a local Cafe and drove to Sa Calobra which is another scenic lookout point requiring nerves of steel to drive the narrow winding road that also allow tourist buses. It's interesting to meet one of those buses on the switch back corners!!!!

Made it home okay and my reward for driving while Debra enjoyed the scenery was to cook her another Gourmet meal.

After dinner went up to the Muleta de Refugi to watch the sunset over the Mediterraen which was fabulous.

Blogging now done until we arrive in Barcelona on Saturday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

walk to tuentewalk to tuente
walk to tuente

Are we having fun yet??
walk to Tuentewalk to Tuente
walk to Tuente

stopped for picnic lunch
walk to tunetewalk to tunete
walk to tunete

scenery along the way


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb