Goodbye Navarra


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
April 18th 2006
Published: April 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello all,

Have to be quick again as only have a few minutes. Have to share the computer with all the other Pilgrims. Am now in the lovely province of Rioja, Logrono to be precise. Staying at the pilgrims hostel for only 4 euros a night. Not so bad.

So briefly. Pamplona was great. Had a short walk into the town that day and was lucky to get a bed at the hostel. Being Good Friday when I we arrived we got to see a procession in the evening. We also got to drink some wine, since it was easter.

The day after was very tough, a big mountain is just out of town and we have to climb right up it. Fine but not in the middle of a storm. Got rather wet and the trails became mud. However, on the other side was the beautiful town of Puenta LA Reina. It has an old bridge leading out of the town and it was nice to sit in the sunshine and relax.

Unfortunately that has been the last time since I saw the sun. Hardly sunny Spain. Yesterday was very difficult as it involved walking through mud for most of the 29kms. Was like skating. But a hot shower at the end of the day and a good meal makes it all worth while. Even treated myself to the luxury of a washing machine today! Such indulgence. Last night was spent in Torres Del Rio a small town with a church that was built to look kinda like a mosque??? Apparently there used to be a bit of fighting between the two religions in these parts about 900 years ago. Had stuffed peppers for dinner, plus red wine of course.

Wish I could put some of my thoughts down here but there is really not enough time. Suffice to say I am well, although a little sun would be nice, I think I´m getting a little fitter and I am truely loving the experience. Will update soon. Buen Camino. Ben...




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Medieval BridgeMedieval Bridge
Medieval Bridge

This day starting off with mud and heavy, heavy rain. But in Puenta La Reina the sun came out to show one of the most beautiful places on the Camino.
Torres Del RioTorres Del Rio
Torres Del Rio

Almost everyone else stopped one town back because of the Rain. Ken, Tori, Gritt, Mathaeus and I pressed on to this wonderful town. Stuffed peppers for tea... Yum. Navarra red wine also...not so Yum.


Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0863s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb