Camino Trip Day 7: Camino Day 3:


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Navarre » Roncesvalles
May 11th 2022
Published: May 14th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We got in the morning, packed our stuff, and headed downstairs for our breakfast. The breakfast was served in Casa Sabina, the same place as dinner. They had the usual coffee, orange juice and toast, and they had a pastry of some sort and an apple. We finished our breakfast and were on our way by 8am. We posed for a photo by the infamous "Santiago de Compostela 780" kilometers, then walked for a few kilometers along a river thru a forst. By 8:16, we reached our first town, Burguete/Auritz. I'd noticed that my face was sort of tight from the high winds the previous day, so Manoli went to the supermarket while I had a coffee at the nearby Bar Goxona. They had a town square with some awesome trees. We would see this type of tree a lot more. On leaving town, we crossed one of the little pedestrian bridges made famous in the movie The Way.

Next, we entered the town of Espinal/Aurizberri, another typical small town for the region. Again, upon leaving town, we crossed another "bridge" from the movie, but this one was actually a series of cement pillars you had to cross carefully. Then, we went through the town of Bizkarreta/Gerendiain. Here, since it was after 11am, we stopped for lunch. Manoli had a gazpacho, and I had a decent tortilla with a couple of sausages, and of course a cafe con leche (coffee with milk, like the French serve a cafe au lait). After our lunch, we left town and walked through some lovely, peaceful forest again. After a couple of hours, we came upon a much welcomed food truck. Here we stopped to have a Coke and rest. While we were there, an ambulance and a 4WD rescue vehicle pulled in, gather some stuff from the ambulance and headed off in the 4WD vehicle. We found out that an older lady carrying a large backpack and suffered from heat stroke or exhaustion. That just goes to show, this is not a walk for the faint hearted.

We reached our destination for the day, Zubiri, with its famous medieval bridge. We'd made reservations the night before in El Palo del Avellano albergue. After we checked in and stowed our stuff, we walked back to the river to soak our feet. The albergue dinner menu was a bit on the expensive side, so we walked down the street a ways to have dinner there.

Tomorrow we head for Pamplona.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb