Day 31, 25th October 2014: Ribadaso to A Rua, 21.1kms


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia » Santiago de Compostela
October 24th 2014
Published: October 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Young artist at Ribadiso Young artist at Ribadiso Young artist at Ribadiso

Doing a watercolour of the bridge
We are now in A Rua at the hotel, O Pino. It's 3.30pm and today was a pretty easy walk. We didn't get out of bed until 7.00am and went to the bar for breakfast at about 8am. Today's walk is only about 20 kms and from all accounts on good paths, passing through well shaded forests.

After breakfast we started with a long steep climb out of Ribadaso until it levelled out into a village. It was a day of walking with old acquaintances and chatting about the end of our journey and what is to follow. I walked with a young Spanish girl for an hour and was educated on the current state of Spain, where she was from (Madrid), and was asked pretty general questions about Australia and aspects of our lives that seem mundane to us. She felt privileged to be walking the Camino and was enjoying learning of her country's history and the peculiarities of each region she has passed through.

You see a lot of new faces on the Camino at this stage of the Way, as many are here to do the last 100kms. They are in Day 3 for them and,
Gorillas In The Mist?..........No, cows.Gorillas In The Mist?..........No, cows.Gorillas In The Mist?..........No, cows.

Early morning, leaving Ribadiso .
if they are genuinely walking it all, many have developed blisters. I saw a Chinese man walking with his son and he was reduced to a very slow, painful limp. His son looked a little impatient but what can you do; he's still moving forward and he will probably make it all the way.

We also touched base with the 5 Korean girls I have previously mentioned and they are going along well, if not happily. They are 4 young students being accompanied to Santiago by an older mentor as part of a personal development program. The older girl, still quite young herself, conducts these programs and I'm sure these girls will take a lot out of it, as well as a few blisters. They are being bribed with promises of ice cream or anything else that will keep them moving. Tonight they are staying a little further on than us so we will hopefully see them in Santiago. I gave them our spare guide to use and even though it is late in the trip, it's something to look back on.

Tonight we will eat at this hotel, sleep at this hotel, in fact, probably not move
from this hotel. Tim might go for a walk later with me, otherwise I will head out by myself. Santiago tomorrow, only 20kms, so no rush to be there. Last post tomorrow,in more ways than one, so it will probably be a good opportunity to work out what this was really all about. No one's answer would be the same.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Peace.Peace.
Peace.

The only sound is cattle, roosters ...........and the constant clicking of walking poles. You don't notice them after so long using them.
Sunrise to the East.Sunrise to the East.
Sunrise to the East.

At least we are heading in the right direction if this is at our backs.
Hydrangeas along the path.Hydrangeas along the path.
Hydrangeas along the path.

Passing another farmhouse.
33kms from Santiago. 33kms from Santiago.
33kms from Santiago.

It's hard to fathom but I would start again.
Can't even have a coffee in peace.Can't even have a coffee in peace.
Can't even have a coffee in peace.

Copped a bit of 'splatter' taking this one. Not quick enough on the feet these days.
An eerie forest.An eerie forest.
An eerie forest.

All the trunks were moss coated and the fine branches were leaf free. Straight rows which ever angle you viewed it.
An ancient path through a hamlet.An ancient path through a hamlet.
An ancient path through a hamlet.

These are often the most uncomfortable to walk on due to the irregularity.
A food stop.A food stop.
A food stop.

Tim amused by something....or someone.
Walking, walking, walking.Walking, walking, walking.
Walking, walking, walking.

Great paths and shady trees make it a pleasure.
A 1690 water fountain for pilgrims.A 1690 water fountain for pilgrims.
A 1690 water fountain for pilgrims.

The year is barely discernible on the front.
Did we travel half way around the world to walk through gum trees.Did we travel half way around the world to walk through gum trees.
Did we travel half way around the world to walk through gum trees.

A very cool path due to the high canopy of leaves.
The hotel, O Pino.The hotel, O Pino.
The hotel, O Pino.

Last night on the Camino so the accommodation is a better standard. Many people had the same idea.


26th October 2014

Hola and adios!
Hey guys. Great effort all of you and we have enjoyed your daily reports every morning over breakfast. What will Anne and I talk about now?! Good luck for the final walk into Santiago. You have every right to feel proud of a remarkable achievement - but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that. Enjoy your post-Camino break and look forward to hearing more of your adventures when you're back home. And maybe a coffee and ride too! Ian and Anne.
26th October 2014

Post Camino
Hey, you don't get rid of us that easily ! This will continue after the Camino, hence the .'........and Beyond' in the heading but it will just be a few pics and a bit of a chat. Thanks to everyone for their encouragement. And the ride and coffee are definitely on.
26th October 2014

Nearly there!
Despite few communications from me recently I have still been following your adventures with interest. I am sure that your reflections on the experiences you have shared will be insightful. I am totally convinced the Camino isn't for the likes of me who would prefer a holiday with lots of cruise sightseeing, shopping and coffees n fags, but you three are legends ?
26th October 2014

Just in!
We just made it to Santiago an hour ago. I know someone else who would share your holiday, minus the fags. I would start again tomorrow and will do it again but solo. No regrets from anyone but the difficulty is hard to explain and any books you read seem to sugar coat it. It's a great sense of achievement though and we all pulled through. Maybe in a year I will do it again and Sue can meet me later. I would like to do the full St Jean to Finisterre walk but we'll see. Thanks Liz
9th November 2014

Photos
Gorgeous Sunrise photo. Well done to all of you on your trip.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb