Madrid


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
October 20th 2010
Published: October 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Madrid


Sunshine and laid back would be the first few words that come to mind to describe this fast moving city of 3.2 million. Well, laid back except for the driving--round-about's are everywhere and admittedly I never fully got my bearings. Our host had arranged a van for most of our trip so we were simply grateful we survived and arrived everywhere in one piece!

Travels from Berlin were fairly smooth. Our flight was delayed due to an air traffic controller strike in Spain, not France though that has become the running joke since France has been in full protest mode during our travels. While waiting, I took a stab at a car racing game on my fellow traveler's ipad and, turns out I stink at driving an i-pad. Sean better be driving when I get home!

Our first stop after dropping our bags was a tour of Old Town Madrid. We started at Plaza Mayor which many previous Madrid travelers had told me about. Sure enough, expectations were met--it's a charming square complete with street actors, cafes, history, people, cobblestones and the center of the city. The plaza, originating in 1619 was the perfect introduction to Madrid life. From
In front of the castleIn front of the castleIn front of the castle

2,800 rooms and at one time 6,000 people lived here!
there we explored the castle--see picture--quite a sight.

Debating room and why can't we meet the Mozambique Prez?


Our first real day of meetings including a meeting at the Congress of Deputies and a chance to tour the Debating room as well as to meet with a member of Parliament a day before a significant budget vote. The challenges Spain faces are not overly different than the US but their unemployment rate does trump most in the US at 21%!a(MISSING)nd 45%!f(MISSING)or youth. Health care is universal here and something all are proud however it is on an unsustainable path without clear consensus on alternatives. My favorite phrase of the day from the tour was: "wasted steps," referring to the hallway where people waiting to influence members would pace and thus is now referred to as the "lobby." As we were attempting to leave, security and cameras were in full force waiting to capture the entrance of the President of Mozambique. We were caught in an awkward moment of not belonging really anywhere yet not having an exit plan!

Our afternoon visit (following a LONG lunch which we later have come to learn is the norm and surrounded by people at many tables smoking) was to an incredibly innovative business school named Instituto de Empresa or ie. The school is a business school with a twist--they seek students who are risk takers and willing to take chances. They attract a global student body and are constantly looking to innovate.

Health care



As mentioned, one of the highlights of the trip are the opportunities to dine in people's homes. It's a great chance to see how people live and have more informal discussions about politics. Well, other things but thus far the theme is politics. Brandon and I managed to take a bus in the wrong direction so had a scenic tour of Madrid and was never so happy to have my phone be able to make international calls to right our travels! Our host, Carmen was an absolute delight. She works in the health care ministry for the cabinet director and had traveled to the states as a fellow. To hear the South Dakota on the fourth of July story from someone from Madrid made the evening complete. Carmen gave a presentation on the following day about the health care system in Spain--a system for
Host dinner with Brandon and CarmenHost dinner with Brandon and CarmenHost dinner with Brandon and Carmen

Carmen was a European fellow and works for the Health Ministry. Imagine coming to the states for the first time and renting a car with 4 other fellows in South Dakota!
everyone including immigrants. It's a system all are proud of but again, faces serious challenges ahead. Key issues are an aging population with longer life expectancy, high cost of prescriptions and a system who's users don't have a sense of the cost of the services.

Senate



We were able to meet briefly with Isidre Molas, Vice President of the Senate who shared his insights more on his career than the actual functioning of the Senate. He did share a cool tradition of St. George Day--a day where people are given flowers and books. It's a tradition from Catalonia and one he clearly hoped to spread to the states! He had a few intriguing one liners...."Freedom is pluralism" and "you see differences when you travel." He was called away during our visit for a vote when a bell rang. In the Senate here, the doors are locked after a certain amount of time and members who miss the vote are fined for missing it! There's a practice to bring to the states!

Final day



Whew, busy day and I need to hit the sack for my 4:30 am wake up call so a couple quick highlights:
Met with Iberdrola Renovables and got a lesson on the effectiveness of wind power. And later learned the company has an office in Portland.

Met with PROMOMadrid (MADrid ABOUT YOU) team who's job it is to promote Madrid particularly to businesses. The popular phrase here is: "If you are in Madrid, you're already a Madrileno." After hearing so much about immigration in Germany and the challenges, the perspective here is quite different. In fact, 50% of the people in Madrid are from other Spanish regions and 19% are foreigners from more than 180 different nationalities. Integration is much easier as people often immigrate from other Spanish speaking countries and share language, religion and values.

Our second to last meeting was with the Coordinator of the opposing party--PP or Partido Popular). They represent a free market perspective (here liberal is associated with free market, yes, it's confusing) and are seeking to take power back in the 2011 elections. They represent strong values--freedom and responsibility. Their perspective is that right now their party has more similarities throughout the country while the socialists has differences by region and that the country needs economic solutions. Most the trip we have been meeting with
With Madrid's MayorWith Madrid's MayorWith Madrid's Mayor

Brandon, Olivia, Stephen and I with Patricia Aguirra, Regional Governor of Madrid
socialist point of view folks so it was helpful to hear "the other side!"

Finally, we listened to a lecture by Robert Lucas, Jr a Nobel Prize winner and an economist. Not surprisingly, he talked about the US economy. It's funny looking at my notes tonight...I was a bit tired during the first part of his lecture and the notes are not so legible. The current economic conundrum he agreed was indeed a conundrum--banks have money and can lend but aren't. No clear solutions came to light though the audience was working on pulling some clear ideas from him!

Ok, so the trip was fast and furious with very little free time. A couple of comments about Madrid--driving here is nuts. Walking is even tough since street signs are actually on buildings and I have no idea the order of street numbering and round abouts seem as though at every major intersection. Our night out in the Chueca district did expose us to traditional tapas and lively night life. Open squares are key here and hopping at all hours. Oh, and Real Madrid did win 2--0 on Tuesday night.

Tomorrow....Prague!





Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Second to last stop in MadridSecond to last stop in Madrid
Second to last stop in Madrid

a meeting with Jorge Morgas, Coordinator de Presidencia y de RRII del Partido Popular (the current minority party)
Plaza Mayor at noon Plaza Mayor at noon
Plaza Mayor at noon

Madrid noon....meaning 2 pm
Cheese.....Cheese.....
Cheese.....

llots of it and good.
FabricFabric
Fabric

Only one shot of an alley full of fabric shops


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb