¡Viva España!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
September 11th 2010
Published: September 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Okay....so we rolled into Madrid on the evening of September 5th. We had taken the plane from London and then took the metro to downtown Madrid. We had no problems whatsoever....except for the fact that neither of us had written down where our hostel was. We also realized there were no maps in the area...and that every store selling maps was closed since it was midnight. So, we wandered the streets with our backpacks for an hour, walking in circles, we were actually within a few blocks at all times. Eventually we found the place which turned out to be very nice. We only had to share the room with one other person, which was a nice change. We couldn´t find our other travel partner, Tori...so we tiredly made our way to a restaurant in desperate need of comida. The place we decided on, Todos Corazones, was about to close and only had albondigas (meatballs) left over....but it turned out to be excellent. They were just what we needed. Two cervezas, a pile of meatballs in gravy, and a heap of bread to dip with and we were happy campers.

The next day we met up with Broderick, who came in on the plane. We went to Parque de Retiro which had some beautiful landscaping, relaxing shade, a sweet lake near an awesome tower, trumpet players...the whole nine yards.

Over the next few days we explored some art museums, The Prado (Very beautiful art) and the Reina Sofia (very bizzare art...but we did see the Guernica).

We also visited the Palacio Real, a really nice cathedral, and ate at some wonderful restaurants, eating food that ranged from seafood, tapas, jamon y queso, bocadillos, and braised ox tail. The food was amazing and the drinks equally so, mostly consisting of sangria and San Miguel cerveza.

All in all, I found Madrid to be an interesting place to be. The streets were narrow and cramped, but it made for some interesting people watching. There were people on every corner handing out brochures and flyers, trying to coax you into their establishment....and there was a bar on every corner, so you can imagine the amount of people we had to turn down. It was an adventure and definitely a lively city to visit. We met some really nice people, including some very cute Belgian girls with whom we are hoping to catch up with later in the trip.

Then we were off to Barcelona!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Palacio RealPalacio Real
Palacio Real

The awesome house of kings and queens..
Confused...Confused...
Confused...

After the Reina Sofia. Modern Art=Confusion.


Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb