Sore feet...but good sights.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » London
September 4th 2010
Published: September 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The last few days have been intense. We've been going nonstop for the majority of the day. Day 2 in London involved waking up at the crack of dawn to get pastries (chocolate filled croissants) and then heading down to Waterloo Station to meet Ben's friend (and my new friend) Graham. He is a local and showed us around the town. First we went down to Westminster Abbey and wandered around looking at the amazing architecture, beautiful artwork and the overwhelming feel of history. It's amazing how large and impressive a building from 960 can be, but it is breathtaking.

Then we went to an arcade and played some games to lighten the mood before grabbing lunch (Malaysian Beef Noodles). Then we went to a Turkish restaurant to drink Stella Artois and smoke some grape shisha.

Then we went down to the Tower of London which was very interesting and held many gruesome and intriguing stories of executions, murders, kings, queens, and ghosts. Quite good stuff. We spent three hours wandering the towers, saw the crown jewels and meet a delightfully ecentric Beefeater.

Later that night, we took the train south of London to Graham's hometown of Whitton to meet his family and relax.

The next morning, we got up bright and early again, got a latte and a panini and hit the British Museum. It was an excellent collection of Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Chinese and many other historical collections. The sheer size and quantity of the collection and the impeccable quality of the items are what really stood out.

Then we strolled through the parks, saw the pelicans, took in Buckingham Palace and got some Fish and Chips and a pint on Parliment Street. Then we went to Trafalgar Square where there was a giant festival going on, ducked into the National Gallery before making one last stop at the National History Museum, which had some cool fossils, but was otherwise underwhelming.

Now...it is time to get some rest. Later tonight we are going to get dinner and then take a ride on The London Eye.
Tomorrow will be a relaxing day in Hyde Park before we take the plane to Madrid to meet Tori and Broderick! Can't wait!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



4th September 2010

Sounds fun.....
Thanks for keeping us updated - sounds like you are having a great time!
6th September 2010

The Sore Feet Are Worth It.
You'll have to do more damage to your feet than that to catch up with my bloody (and that is not an English expression) shoes in France. However, one can put up with a lot if one is seeing wonderful things along the way. Grandpa and I are enjoying the blogs. G. Nancy
9th September 2010

Lucky!
Hey Jared, Sounds like you're really making the most of your time. Great photos and awesome descriptions of the sights and the food. I wonder if I could make it over there for the second half of your trip. Hmmm.... I guess your 45-year-old aunt might cramp your style. Glad you're having such a great time!

Tot: 0.872s; Tpl: 0.075s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1834s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb