Viva Espana!!!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
June 30th 2008
Published: June 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We won!We won!We won!

We were chilling at a small bar watching the game and this is about a minute after winning. Once I was done hugging everyone I took pictures..
WE WON! WE WON! (Yes, I'm saying "we" as if I'm Spanish now... haha)

Anyway, the FINAL game for the EuroCup was last night and SPAIN WON! They haven't won since 1964, so they've waited 44 years for this moment! Just to put this in Canadian terms, its equivalent to the Maple Leafs winning the Stanley Cup! So Madrid went CRAZY. There was a million and a half people in CoLON Square which is where a screen was broadcasting the game. The streets were PACKED. There were a few people trying to drive but it was impossible because of all the drunk Spaniards running around. There were people climbing the street lights waving the Spanish flag. There were huge groups of people running around with their arms around complete strangers. I was with Teresa (a cousin of the children I Au Pair for) and having lived in Madrid her whole life, she hadn't seen anything like this before. It was Spain's moment of glory and everyone was living it up!

I was SO happy to be in Spain for this historic event! It was wild! And apparently there will be more partying tonight in CoLON Square because the players
Crowds...Crowds...Crowds...

Unfortunately all my pictures are blurry but it was insane!
themselves will be there showing off THE CUP to all the fans. When you think of Europe, you think Soccer. Some people live and breathe soccer here, and finally their country won. There were fans running through the streets kicking soccer balls while chugging beers. It was SO European. haha.

Its a little sad to see the losers walk off the field. There were Germans crying and the replays today on TV are a little sad, but it was finally Spain's moment to shine.

Anyway, Im going to watch Maria now on TeleMadrid, most likely talking only Futball, futball, futball.

Then I'm having a siesta as I'm exhausted. (Little Maria is at her friend Blanca's house, so I'm free for the afternoon...)

Well I'm out. Adios.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

A blurA blur
A blur

The streets were a blur of red and yellow...
The gangThe gang
The gang

Here's the gang and I in CoLON Square (in a very low quality picture...sorry)


30th June 2008

Better than the Stanley Cup???
Hi Yen: Congrats on the Spanish victory in futball!! We watched the game and rooted for Spain all the way!! However, you've been in Spain too long if you think this is bigger than the Leafs winning the Stanley Cup! And they/we've waited LONGER than 44 years! mom
4th July 2008

Congrats
Hello Yenny: Congratulations on your position in Spain! What a great opportunity! What a great time to be in the country to help celebrate this momentous occasion. Hope you have a wonderful couple of months. Adios.
23rd July 2008

Espanol, por favor!
Hola querida Yenny: Trata de escribir en Espanol para practicar. Que contestan alla cuando tu dices Muchas gracias? Que vocabulario has aprendido? Que "dichos" (sayings/slang?) Dices, "VALE?" Espero mensaje pronto. Takce care. Enjoy! Abrazos: Carmen

Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb