Marvellous and Majestic Montserrat


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
August 30th 2017
Published: August 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

While travelling out to Montserrat this morning I was thinking that I will probably have to start another blog with an apology if it was half as picturesque and interesting as we had been led to believe. I then thought "is it ok to apologise and not change?" All this to say ... no apology!!!

We travelled by bus to the "rack railway" - see photos for why it is called that - up to Montserrat and all it has to offer. As you are probably aware, it is known for a number of things including the spectacular mountain range (Montserrat means jagged mountain), the Basilica (first referenced in 888) the "Black Madonna" and the natural park which is a drawcard for rock climbers for obvious reasons. There are also 59 Benedictine monks who live in the monastery and make liqueurs (we saw an audio visual presentation that indicates they do much more but they are known mostly for the liqueurs)!! And the piece de resistance in our eyes (sorry don't know the Spanish for that) the boys choir which we were fortunate to hear. They were STUNNING and are aged between 9 and 14 years old and go to
Rack railwayRack railwayRack railway

Note the "rack" in the middle of the track that is like a "cog" system I suspect - how is that for technical?
school there with an emphasis on their musical studies. The choir dates back to the 14th century and is one of the oldest in the world and has produced many world famous musicians, composers, etc. We timed our visit to the Basilica to get a seat to hear the boys sing and just as well as it is breathtakingly beautiful, particularly once it was illuminated. The crowds flocked in and were standing in every nook and cranny. It was hard to get a good picture of La Moreneta (The black Madonna) as pilgrims line up for hours to touch her and pray. She is high up behind the altar and the procession just didn't stop. She is black because of the varnish on her hands and feet changing over time. There is quite a story associated with when she was found by shepherds.

One of the monks welcomed everyone in about 6 languages and expressed that the desire of the monks that everyone attending would know God's love and would feel closer to Him when they left. He then read 1 John 4:7-8. The choir then came in and when those precious boys sang, it was like a little
Another photo of the railwayAnother photo of the railwayAnother photo of the railway

Technical people may be able to make sense of this
slice of heaven. Nothing much could beat that!!

We then walked to St Michael's cross - all uphill with no level ground but we had to do it for obvious reasons. However the bonus was the views over Montserrat - and it was all downhill on the way back!! Sadly didn't have time for a visit to the Museum housing works of Dali, Picasso, Caravaggio, Monet, etc) - and we wondered how we'd fill in 2 1/2 hours of free time!!

We did manage to zoom by the Montserrat markets on oor way back to the bus where the main products were Jamon, honey, fig cake, Manchego cheese, nuts and quince paste. How sad we can't bring any of them back.

This is our last night in Barcelona, we feel as if we have only touched the surface and, having said we prefer small towns, we have felt very comfortable here despite the warnings from everyone about pickpockets. From my perspective, being able to navigate because of the grid system has made my "solo" walks easy but I must confess I remain "geographically challenged"! Besides there is 100% chance of rain tomorrow so ... hasta la vista baby!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

La Moreneta La Moreneta
La Moreneta

Zoom in and, hopefully, you will see her in the red circle!!


31st August 2017

Montserrat
Couldn't open pics however, remember it like yesterday! Simply beautiful. Thanks for the memories xxx ps we had to get the sheep cheese from the markets!
31st August 2017

Photos
Hi Sharyn, so glad you are reliving your trip!! Mike said his photos came through but you might need to wait a while because there are a LOT of them - have no idea what he means!!!!

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb