Northern Espagna here we come


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » El Port de la Selva
August 31st 2017
Published: August 31st 2017
Edit Blog Post

We woke to rain this morning, as predicted, so definitely time to leave Barcelona. We walked to drop our cases at the meeting place for our small group tour in very light drizzle then went for breakfast feeling very Spanish as we are now used to ordering coffee and pastries or something small - a far cry from the buffet on the boat but very necessary - the “small” bit that is!!

We did a tour around some more of Barcelona which was excellent to clarify some facts and rectify a mistake I made. I said the old bull ring was now used as a venue for concerts but it is actually a shopping centre. Mike was glad we found this out as we left Barcelona! We had coffee near La Sagrada Familia as we felt we didn't really need any more photos - aren't you relieved - then drove North of Barcelona to Girona where we wandered through the old town, saw the Jewish quarter which is home to a small number of Safardi Jews and is a beautifully preserved section of this gothic town.

We are following the Pyrenees so are only 20-30km from the border with France and when we arrived at Cap de Creus, the eastern most tip of Spain, my phone welcomed me to France - bonus! While not cold it was wild and woolly, a perfect day to stand on a cliff top and experience the true force of God’s creation. On the way we passed farms of sweet corn, sunflowers, laden apple trees, prickly pears and vineyards. Obviously a fertile land which is surprising in view of the rugged coast of the Costa Brava.

We have just arrived in El Port de la Selva which is my sort of town - picturesque, tiny, easy to walk from one end to the other at a dawdle in 5 minutes so no chance of getting lost. As I wandered I saw a man and woman carrying polystyrene boxes of small, silver fish (maybe sardines). They were glistening and I assume they had just been fishing and were going to their shop to sell them, how fresh is that. Sadly I didn't have my phone to take a photo. The group seems delightful and it will be fun to get to know them over the next week.

Buenos noches


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Sign to indicate an area where Safardic Jews liveSign to indicate an area where Safardic Jews live
Sign to indicate an area where Safardic Jews live

These can be found on roadways around the world
If you touch the Lion's butt you will come back to GironaIf you touch the Lion's butt you will come back to Girona
If you touch the Lion's butt you will come back to Girona

You can climb up stairs to reach the real thing or touch the bronze replica - judging by the shiny butt most people do the latter!! Mike will return.


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb