Day 6 - La Boqueria (food market) & wander Barri Gotic Area


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
September 16th 2009
Published: September 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This morning we woke up somewhat earlier than usual, 8:00am, to meet Jenn and her son Lautaro at La Boqueria. This food market is right off La Rambla and has many stalls of fruit, meats, cheeses, candy, seafood, etc. Notable items...suckling pig and pig head...and a skinned land head with eyeballs intact. YUCKO! All I can say as the photos don't do the fruits justice...beautiful! **see photos**

After the market we had to sit down at a cafe and feed Jake, so we bought some juices and coffee and Lauti had a "bikini", a grilled ham and cheese! Jenn thinks they call it a bikini because when they cut it in half diagonally it looks like the triangle bottom of a bikini?!?!

After the market and a snack/chat with Jenn, she had to leave to pick-up her daughter from school and Brian, Jake and I wandered the Barri Gotic area aimlessly. We browsed shops and looked in cool art galleries. We had lunch in Placa Reil, and the Taxidermista. I know it sounds weird, but I had a ham sandwich and Brian had some super good tandoori chicken. I ate half his, because my ham was weird. We people watched and watched the flamenco dancer do his thing. Overall a nice relaxing meal until Jake reaching overtiredness. He REFUSES to sleep though...he dozed off maybe a half hour before his bottle and that was it all day!!! He sits in his little stroller and observes everything.

Jake did reach a milestone the other night. I was looking at the map while he was in the Baby Bjorn and he kept reaching for it and crumpling it as I was trying to find our bearings. As I kept raising it higher and higher to keep it out of his little hands, he threw a crying fit!!! We had to give him our used metro ticket to keep him occupied. Life will never be the same... He also FINALLY rolled over by himself...from stomach to back...and only once. He can almost sit up by himself...be has little interest in rolling over!!!

As soon as I got him back to the hotel room, he was out within the first 5 minutes, slept for 1.5 hours woke up to drink his bottle for 10 minutes and was back out for 1 more hour!

Tonight we went back to Made in Italy for the pizza, only to find that they were closed today?!?! What the heck!!! So we went to a different pizzeria that a artist from the gallery recommended earlier today. It was good cheap authentic Italian style pizza. We both ate for 22 euros...the cheapest meal yet!

Back to the hotel to bathe Jake and for me to catch up on 4 days of blogging.

On another note...we paid another 16 euros for internet access to check mail and for me to fulfill my internet habit. We found out that the condo we rented in Maui for December is now unavailable due to the fact that the owner is losing it in a short sale. She did not cash our checks, but we were pretty upset to find out this late in the game....we've had those reservations for a few months now. Luckily, do to my searching the internet high and low, I found another condo in the same complex, the Kahana Sunset, unit E1E, it looks like a nicer unit and it's $15 dollars/night cheaper than the one we lost. You can't beat $115/nt. for this fabulous condo complex! We paid our deposit and signed the contract...we are back on track!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Shades up...Shades up...
Shades up...

We should have got this for when Jake is in the car with Brian!!!
Brian and Jake - Placa ReilBrian and Jake - Placa Reil
Brian and Jake - Placa Reil

Lunch at Taxidermista
...not so happy boy...not so happy boy
...not so happy boy

HE WILL NOT SLEEP!!!


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb