First full day in Barcelona .... a man and his lens cap.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
December 29th 2007
Published: December 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today ... shopping and some touring...... well.. this being our first full day in Barcelona, we shopped... we had to resupply ourselves with socks, underwear and personal hygiene products SINCE our luggage is on it´s own private tour of the world. Well, more likely it´s sitting in a dank, dark storeroom or perhaps has already been ransacked by airport employees.
Well, we found a very awesome Spanish clothing store called Disequals.... we had fun in there and spent more of the compensation I hope to (but likely will never) receive for the lost baggage. After that a long stroll down the Ramblas ^ This street is the Ramblas 1.2 mile long... a pedestrian walkway with street performers, souvineer and bird sellers (no Makeets though!), and shopping.. Tons of people.

We headed to see the huge church Sagrada Familia ... it looks like dripping candles...it is Gaudi for sure, well he finished the design and worked on it from 1890 to 1929 .. it´s still only half finished.
Click to see the dripping candles - Sagrada
We marveled from the outside, since we didn´t have our passes yet (I prepurchased and had to pick up at a specific spot downtown) ... we´ll head back there tomorrow.
Stopped at Hard Rock ... just for a shirt with Barcelona on it for Steven, actually he picked a nice polo too.

Spent the evening over by the National Museum where there was a great fountain show. This was really worth the trip and the cold.. I´d say it was about 35 degrees, and my toes were feeling it!! Click to see the Fountain ... it was really good

We are doing quite well speaking spanish and it really is a joy to be able to communicate for directions and eating and that kind of stuff. Steven is using some of his 2 years of HighSchool spanish, and I´ve been studying for quite a while too!

Blessings...... blog at ya some more later! ...
Michael ...........

oh, yes the lens cap..... 😉
So after the water fountain show at Montjuic, this happens and I tell you there were thousands of people watching this in a huge outdoor area. Steven had been shooting photos all around the square and he had a tripod too, so he looked like (and of course he did!!) know what he was doing. A man hands us a nice lens cap he thought was ours, but it was for a Canon wide lens SLR
la Sagrada Familiala Sagrada Familiala Sagrada Familia

Gaudi's sacred family ... rich in symbolism
so we refuse it ... he tosses it to the ground. I pick it up and think to myself hey ´I just might see someone with a Canon camera. 5 minutes later ... I see someone with a Canon bag.... now mind you this place is still packed with people. This is the first guy I ask .... would you believe it .... Yup, you guessed it....this guy and 2 friends can hardly believe it either !! What a joyus reunion ... a man and his lens cap.
Anyway, I didn´t say it was a good story.... it just amazed me.
After we parted, I wondered though maybe if I was supposed to ask them a thing or two thinking maybe we were to run into each other for a reason ... maybe we were, but I´ll never know!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

las Rambleslas Rambles
las Rambles

performers on the Rambles !!


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 11; ; mem: 1.1mb