Checking out


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Castrojeriz
July 2nd 2013
Published: July 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

So we made it, the last 20km to Castrojerez and the end of our first half of the Camino. I have entrusted my staff to a publican at the entrance to town who has promised me he will keep it until 2016 when we return. It felt really strange walking the last km to the hotel without it.

Mixed emotions today, hard to believe it is all over. We would dearly love to carry on but also very excited about seeing the kids, Suzzie and Scott, their children and Pat/John in Chicago and Cleveland.

Have been walking with a guy from Canada, Jonathan. He is 30 and very nearly gave up on day one. He owns a very successful business building trailers for truck and trailer units in Canada. He employs 230 staff and is a great guy who works up to 100 hours per week. He is taking a break for body and soul. His staff have a large map of the Camino up in the staff room. Each milestone - large city - he passes they celebrate with a shout for everyone. They send him a photo of the bill which goes to him. The last bill was $1200. He thinks it is hilarious but loves the fact that his staff are celebrating his success.

So today is the last time for a while we slip our shoes over blistered heals, lift our packs on our backs and take that stiff first step onto the Camino in the morning. Had a great breakfast this morning after not too good a sleep. Now we are getting near to our end we just want to finish it.

Been trying to think of words that best describe the experience. It has certainly been unique and very special. I would not want to have done it on my own. While we did not travel each day together much it was always nice to know that Fiona would be there at the end and beginning of each day. We have met so many special people. The photos we have taken will remind us of them for many years.

There is no doubt we have unfinished business on the Camino. It is best put as it is in our guide book - a mystical path that so many have and will wander for their very own reasons.

A great first half of our holiday and now really looking forward to seeing the kids who are on their way to Chicago from Los Angeles.

Thanks so much for following us on the Way. We are looking forward to catching up with you all on our return. If we go on a bit just tell us we won't mind.

Chow for a couple of years. Fiona and Mark.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



22nd July 2013

Great Blog
Hi Mark/Fiona, I finally had a chance to sit down and read the whole Blog - actually, I intended to have a quick read but it was so good I read the whole thing. Two initial impressions: 1. I think you were very tired at the beginning as the posts were very short but you could see the enthusiasm and energy coming back through the trip 2. You're a great writer - interesting, funny, good pace. I really enjoyed reading it. Now you know what you could do in retirement if you run out of things to do that is (Yeah right :-) Hope settling back into 'normal' life is going well. Love Rodney
30th September 2013

Fantastic!!
I've only just come across your pilgrim blog. Sounds absolutely fabulous. Am going to read it again in a while. Inspirational.....

Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb