A lesson well learned


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León
July 1st 2013
Published: July 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Second to last blog - relief for many of you I am sure.

Today an epiphany - so often in life the things we dread work out well and those we look forward to do not. Back home this happens all the time, I hate the thought of some jobs at Kaitoke and put them off time and time again only to find that on finally getting around to them they are mush easier than I thought. Vice versa of course also applies. Today was a classic example of this. The Mesete is dreaded by many as I mentioned yesterday. It was a doddle, very pleasant, different and rewarding. We chewed through 20km with a good deal more ease than previously.

Tomorrow is our last day and again we tackle the Meseta. Now of course we are approaching it with confidence so watch out for an update on what we find.

I forgot to tell you all yesterday we travelled through another UNESCO World Heritage Site renowned for the oldest remains of early man from 1,000,000 years ago. Not hard to imagine why. Fertile ground providing the food our predecessors preyed upon, a relatively warm climate for much of the year, limestone caves and easy terrain. Ideal country for the human race to propagate from.

This morning started overcast and cool with the sun coming through well after 10. Still a hot day in the end of around 30. Finished in Hornillos Del Camino around 2.30pm.

Had a great dinner and a lot of fun as we celebrated an American friends 59th birthday. He is travelling with his two daughters.

Have booked our train travel,for the day after tomorrow leaving Burgos at noon arriving in Barcelona at 6.30pm. Spain boasts excellent train travel so we shall see.

Hope you enjoy the photos. We stopped under the one tree on the trail today for about an hour. It was a very communal spot. Lots of laughs and as always conversations from many cultures.

Starting to reflect on finishing now. We are ready but know our last night tomorrow will be a big one. Many of those we have been walking through the Camino with are sharing it with us.

Mike our American friend describes the Camino as something you roll through in a cocoon ball insulated from the outside world enjoying a unique and protected experience. I think I get what he means.

There is no doubt it is something very special - you are alone yet together, there is a Camino community with everyone in it respecting and also supporting each other through the hard times. It is pretty cool, difficult to put in words and something quite unique.

Catch up tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb