Burgos 300km


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Burgos
June 30th 2013
Published: June 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

What a day, 26km in the heat which must have been 35 degrees. Not too much climbing and a beautiful start to the day leaving San Juan but man did it get hot and very boring the last 8km into Burgos.

We learned that Yvette had spent an extra day in Burgos for a rest so it was very exciting to catch up with her and to share all our stories. Rob and Carminia were also in town - remember we shared a cab with them from Biarritz to St Jean. Everyone is tired and it is generally agreed that from here on in it is a mental game rather than physical. It is a funny feeling knowing we are not going the whole way. We are so pleased we made that decision at the beginning rather than running out of time and having to stop.

By the time we got to Burgos our feet were throbbing and blisters growing. Tomorrow we have decided we will go as far as is comfortable. Any distance we do from here is a bonus. There is a nice hotel at 16km which is a great point to stop if it hurts. If we get there and we are ok then we can continue. We have learned so much which will make a huge difference when we come back to finish.

The next five days travel through what is called the Maceta. Hot, flat, straight,boring, no shade and few stops. A big challenge. Many pilgrims bypass this area and start again in Leon. It will be good to get two days days under our belts so that when we get back it is only three more.

Burgos is famous for El CID, a national hero for Spain who brought together the east and west in Valencia in the 11th century. Charlton Heston featured in the film El CID which we have at home, so will watch it when we get back. This weekend is the festival of Burgos so it is very crowded. Tried to pick it up on the picture.

Just sitting down now at the end of the day to watch Spain play Brazil in the final of the Confederation Cup. The place is going nuts.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.379s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1809s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb