Day 27


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile-La Mancha » Toledo
June 9th 2012
Published: June 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we went around the city again. Our first stop was the Cathedral, which is absolutely breathtaking. There was a room dedicated to the clothing of the bishops of Toledo. There were robes in-laid with gold, sapphires, and pearls. I mean countless man-hours spent on every piece. There was a gigantic atrium with ornate marble and carved stone. The stained-glass windows were decorated perfectly depicting various biblical scenes. It is the fist gothic-style cathedral that we saw and I have to say it was another place that I cannot forget.

After walking out the Cathedral a guy approached us on the street and offered to take us to an art workshop. We said sure, knowing that we would not buy anything. He took us to a Damascene art co-op, a place where artists come make their goods and get paid based on working and not selling. Damascene art involves gold inlays that don’t fade for a long time and have a very distinct styling from everything else you can buy. It is honestly one of the coolest things to watch the artists work because they took very fine wires of gold and pressed them into the right place. We then spent some time in the store and decided to leave when we did not want anything.

The last thing that we stopped by in Toledo was a knife shop. They had every replica sword from every movie, fancy pocketknives and chessboards made with gold that were worth over a thousand Euros. We got done with that and went to lunch, which consisted of some delicious meat (we weren’t told and I didn’t ask) in a stew and pasta.

After lunch we went back on the road. We returned to Madrid and I realized how little there is to do in Madrid. There is some shopping but all in all there is not much in that city.

We returned to Segovia later that night and hung out for a while before returning home and to bed. That is it again. More to come…

Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb