La viñuela.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia
December 3rd 2007
Published: December 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

La Viñuela is a small village in the Axarquía mountains outside Velez Malaga. Although the modern vilage dates from the 16th century, when it was on the royal road between Granada and Velez, archeological evidence sugests that people have lived here perhaps since palaeolithic times. The surrounding ladscape is a breathtaking sweep of low mountains from which the sun bursts in the mornings. At sunset, the mountains almost seem to mourn the loss of the day's sun as they smoulder away like molten copper. I personify these hills because there is no other way to describe them. Standing in these mountains, you can feel your ancestors, you can feel the history of the place, the stories already told, and incomprehensible knowledge. In short, you can get a real sense of your insignificance in the grand scheme of things. Adorning the hills, and holding fast against the ancient winds that have carved this landscape, are ancient olive trees and new avocado plantaions. Perched ontop of the many peaks, like vertebrae, are the small white houses of those lucky enough to have a view to this wise old land. And it was to my Grandmother's house, perched ontop of a hill in the Cañada de los Rosales, that Stephanie and I went for our weekend away.

Besides the fact that it was much warmer than Toledo, this is one of my favourite places to e in the world. There is no way to describe how it makes you feel. And so, I will stop trying. I will only say, come here, but dont stay unless you intend to live with it, not against it as so many foreigners try to do, and so many unscrupulous contractors will encourage them to.

While we were here we had the pleasure of attending the local Chesnut festival. The whole village was entertained in the village Plaza with a live band. The brilliant thing about Mediterranean culture is that no-one expects you to reserve your behaviour. Which for a Brit, is a dream come true. So Nan and I tangoed our heart out in the Plaza before collecting our free roasted Chesnuts and anis liquor which were delicious.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 9; ; mem: 1.1mb