Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Sierra Nevada
January 15th 2009
Published: January 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

BubionBubionBubion

Our accommodation at La Locana, Bubion
Hi Folks, I'm really in Thailand at the moment but this is the first chance I've had to let you know about Spain. We landed in Madrid and hired a car and went immediately to a city called Cuenca. It is build spectacularly on the edges of a deep ravine. It rained and it was cold. The hotel was a typical pathetically uncomfortable, badly furnished and expensive European hotel. We needed sleep but didn't get much. The sights were great and we moved on quickly and drove down to Segura de la Sierra in the south in Andalucia. It was spectacularly beautiful, cold but we stayed in a comfortable apartment at the top of the village just below the Moorish castle.

We did a couple of long walks, the last of which we were snowed off the mountain and for fear of getting lost we had to retrace our steps back to the village. After this it got very cold and with temperatures around minus 5 we took our car to the bottom of the village in case we couldn't get down the next day. It turned out to be a wise move.

After three very pleasant days we drove down to Bubion in the Alpujarras south east of Granada. More, walking and more snow and more cold and a little bit tricky when the snow started falling while we were walking. We survived however and after a couple of days we visited the Alhambra in Granada. It was so cold we couldn't really enjoy it much and the place is obviouslymore picturesque when there are leaves on the trees.

Getting back to Madrid to drop Jesse at the airport was a trial. By this stage the newspapers were screaming 'Madrid Chaos' and indeed the snow storm had stopped everything. We spent one insufferable evening in a hotel on the way back. Gee I hate Spanish hotels. Next morning all went smoothly getting into Madrid airport. We asked if we could change our flight to the one Jesse was on and we had success. I gleefully returned the car and we jumped on the plane and fled from a gruesomely white Spain.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Sierra de la SeguraSierra de la Segura
Sierra de la Segura

View from our bacony
Sierra de la SeguraSierra de la Segura
Sierra de la Segura

The Moorish Castle
AlpujarrasAlpujarras
Alpujarras

Walking in the Porquera valley
BubionBubion
Bubion

Looking across the Porquiera Valley
GranadaGranada
Granada

The Alhambra
BubionBubion
Bubion

Walk down to Pampaniera
BubionBubion
Bubion

Walking in the Porqueira Valley
BubionBubion
Bubion

Walking in the Porqueira Valley
BubionBubion
Bubion

Walking in the Porqueira Valley
BubionBubion
Bubion

Walking in the Porqueira Valley
BubionBubion
Bubion

Walking in the Porqueira Valley
BubionBubion
Bubion

Walking in the Porqueira Valley


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb