SENSATIONAL SEVILLE


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
March 22nd 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After three hours of relaxation on the train from Granada to Seville, Travelling Canucks have come to the conclusion that there are more olive trees than Spaniards in Spain!

Although seeing rural Spain was a welcome break, the Travelling Canucks are thrilled to be in warm (24C) and sunny Seville! First impressions of Seville is that Seville is Sensational! We love the joie de vivre and beautiful streetscapes.

Hotel Petit Palace Santa Cruz has proved to be a great hotel choice. After having a delicious lunch at Modesto, eating andelusian specialities al fresco in a plaza around the corner, we were surprised with a room upgrade to a suite with two toilettes, including a jacuzzi the size of a pool, and a hydo massage shower, two flat screen televisions, and laptop in room, which is a dream come true for bloggers like us! Restaurant recommendations have saved us the agony of deciding on restaurants for lunch and dinner.

We visited the exquisite Cathedral of Seville, which surpassed our expectations given the number of cathedrals we have toured throughout Europe! The alter was amazing! We then headed for the Giraldo Tower, which was our first vertical challenge in Seville.
Birdseye view of  Seville   Birdseye view of  Seville   Birdseye view of Seville

After climbing the Giraldo Tower at the Cathedral of Seville (approx. 17 stories high), spectacular 360 degree views enjoyed after catching our breaths!


After climbing the Giraldo Tower at the Cathedral of Seville (approx. 17 stories high), spectacular 360 degree views enjoyed after catching our breaths! The view and Mama Canuck were breathless once the bell tower was ascended. The church bells hang from the ceiling and chime at the half hour as they have for centuries. We then headed back into the Barrio de Santa Cruz and found our way to the bullring, where we had a guided tour. It was fascinating! We ended off our first day with a wonderful dinner at El 3 de Oro!

With springing forward 1 hour for the second time this spring and our youngest Canuck struck down by a bad cough and runny nose, we took it easy; after all, sunday is suppose to be a day of rest! We had breakfast at the hotel and headed off to the Alcazar, which is surrounded by high walls. It proved to be a highlight as we spent time in this superb Moorish fortress and palace, surrounded by tropical gardens. The smell of jasmine and wisteria wafted into the palace rooms, which were ornately decorated in the Andalusian style. After eating lunch at Horno de
View of Seville and  BullringView of Seville and  BullringView of Seville and Bullring

Taken from atop of Giraldo Tower
Buena Ventura , we saw the Plaza de Espana and Hotel Alphonso XIII before returning to our hotel for a well deserved rest!

Late monday afternoon, after hanging out in Seville´s shopping district, we are taking the AVE to Madrid, a fast train that gets us to Madrid in 2.5 hours from Seville. Sorry to leave Seville, but we hope to return to this sensational city!







Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Winding, narrow alleyways in the Barrio de Santa CruzWinding, narrow alleyways in the Barrio de Santa Cruz
Winding, narrow alleyways in the Barrio de Santa Cruz

Getting lost in the Barrio de Santa Cruz, a daily exercise leaving and returning to Hotel!
Oldest  Bullring in Spain, No Bull!Oldest  Bullring in Spain, No Bull!
Oldest Bullring in Spain, No Bull!

Bullring is oval, not tear shaped! Only tears shed by Matedor´s mother...boo hoo, boo hoo! Goring in the line of duty is an occupational hazard!
Royal Maestranza BullringRoyal Maestranza Bullring
Royal Maestranza Bullring

Toured Plaza de Toros Real Maestranza Museum. Sol seats are cheaper than sobre seats! Taking picture in sombre, spending too much money on hotels and food!
Behind the scenes of BullringBehind the scenes of Bullring
Behind the scenes of Bullring

May be bull´s final entrance to bullring!
Bull´s entrance to BullringBull´s entrance to Bullring
Bull´s entrance to Bullring

Bull´s last chance to escape its fate!
Navigator´s Alter at AlcazarNavigator´s Alter at Alcazar
Navigator´s Alter at Alcazar

Europe´s first depiction of the new world. Illustrates Spain´s conquests of the Americas with coat of arms of explorers around the room.
Peacock Gate at PalacePeacock Gate at Palace
Peacock Gate at Palace

Look for lots of different bird species!
Plaza de Espana Plaza de Espana
Plaza de Espana

Pavilion for 1929 Exposition. Brightly colored azulejo pictures representing 50 provinces. Take a look at city blogs we have visited!


31st March 2007


Mukluk sound crazy! what did you do to him!?! I half expected him to announce he was takeing over the world, then again, that would be funny :)
7th April 2007

Thanks!
Hey ali, I got your post card from this beautiful city, but now i feel guilty! i have a post card from sevilla and from berlin. so when you get back, expect a postcard from jolly old england!

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb