Sevilla


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
September 26th 2019
Published: September 27th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Seeing as the top temperature for today was set for 33° we managed to get ourselves going by 9.30. There was a plan, however we just kept finding things & our direction kept changing. First to the lengthy promenade along the banks of the River Quadalquivir to Triana. Many single skull rowers practising on the water. We strolled under the trees past the expo centre (on the other side of the river) to the Triana Bridge. Captured by the sights across the river we decided to cross over & through the back streets, the food markets, & eventually crossed back over the river to the Park Jardines de Christina & onto the Seville Catadral.
Then we just wandered & weaved our way back home.

I had no preconceived views of Spain & I can say it is just beautiful.

Sevilla History:
The Seville harbour, located about 80 kilometres (50 miles) from the Atlantic Ocean, is the only river port in Spain.
Seville was founded as the Roman city of Hispalis. It became known as Ishbiliyya after the Muslim conquest in 712. During the Muslim rule in Spain, Seville came under the jurisdiction of the Caliphate of Córdoba before becoming the independent Taifa of Seville; later it was ruled by the Muslim Almoravids and the Almohads until finally being incorporated into the Christian Kingdom of Castile under Ferdinand III in 1248. After the discovery of the Americas, Seville became one of the economic centres of the Spanish Empire as its port monopolised the trans-oceanic trade and the Casa de Contratación (House of Trade) wielded its power, opening a Golden Age of arts and literature. In 1519, Ferdinand Magellan departed from Seville for the first circumnavigation of the Earth. Coinciding with the Baroque period of European history, the 17th century in Seville represented the most brilliant of the city's culture; then began a gradual economic and demographic decline as silting in the Guadalquivir forced the trade monopoly to relocate to the nearby port of Cadiz.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



27th September 2019

Sevilla
The photo's are amazing. Sevilla really looks the business. Need to get that onto my bucket list :) xxx

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb