Sevilla


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
March 12th 2018
Published: March 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Another marvellous city .

The train ride was a bit of a surprise as half the distance was in a bus . They are rebuilding train tracks to accommodate high speed trains come summer so there are segments where RNFE is using buses . Comfortable enough but there is no discount offered . Oh well , easy enough to use.

I neglected to mention the cathedral in Granada. It was truly impressive as the only Renaissance church in Spain . The interior is white and that huge space it is magnificently bright. compared to most Spanish churches i have seen . The altars were amazing , as was the art work throughout .

I arrived in Seville in the rain ...I am really getting tired of the rain . It let up for a while and I was able to explore the section of the old town where I am staying . I found some lunch , an Iberian grill with a glass of sangria , explored several churches and watched a wedding proceed with a choir of @30 teens singing. The bride was preceded by 5 little girls and escorted by a woman I guess would be her mom. Those in the church , the guests not the tourists , were dressed very elegantly . The woman were in gowns , furs , and VERY high heels . They were also very thin ... It was interesting .

In the Church of the Annunciation the folks had formed a line and proceeded to a life size statue of Mary with a crown on a full head of hair , a wig of long dark hair , and kissed her hand. Haven,t seen that before and it made me a bit uncomfortable .

I continued exploring the plazas and watching people . Young people were out enjoying the evening . A group of girls stòd out in their turquoise tutus , a group of young men playing instruments led people around and through a plaza and people seemed to be enjoying a Saturday night ...and then it poured . Fortunately I had my trusty raincape and umbrella .

Yesterday I joined walking tour of Seville . I was collected at the hotel ...in the rain...and brought to a meeting place where there were at least 50 people. The organizers divided us into language groups of about 12 and we were off on 2-3 hour walk. Fortunately the rain stopped for the most part and our guide was really good . Raoul is very knowledgeable and really loves his city . The Romans , the Moors and the Catholics have all built monuments . In some plazas of the city all three are evident . The cathedral here , the 3 largest Christian Church in Europe , is also the largest Gothic church in the world . Again a marvellous building that took nearly 500 years to complete. It encompasses some of a Muslim mosque in it,s bell tower and park like area . Like in Granada there was respect for the building done by the Moors.

It was good to be with a group of English speakers. I am staying in a hotel and was feeling isolated and Do not like that feeling .

Last night I happened upon the Festival we Musica recital . A young man , Benjamin Alard , playedVariaciones Goldberg , on what i think was a spinnet. Or maybe z clavichord . An instrument for a previous century , wooden with 2 keyboards , like an organ. It sounded very much like a piano and he was exceptional. He played for 90 minutes ! I must admit I snoozed a bit but I did enjoy the sound. I hadn't realized I missed music .

Enough for now. I shall continue to explore Sevile today and am off to Cordoba tomorrow.

Thank you Roger and Mo for your comments . Where are the rest of you ?

Keep in touch.

Advertisement



12th March 2018

The wedding sounded fascinating! But too bad there has been so much rain..... how long are you there for?
12th March 2018

Hi
I am happy you enjoyed Grenada. I thought it was a beautiful place. Just walking in those little streets in old town is fascinating. Maybe the mood is not as relaxing during spring season, I did not expect having much rain. I was skiing in Charlevoix east of Quebec City this week end, maybe you saw Gilles's pictures. The snow was incredible they had 32 cm last week. I am thinking of Laura and Kelly they had it falling in Maritimes also. Even New York and Boston. But spring will come , not to fear. Have fun in Córdoba I am sure you will be overwhelmed by the cathedral mosque, quite unusual. Bye.
12th March 2018

Misinformed
Eliza Doolittle led us to believe that the rain in Spain falls mainly on the Plain. Glad to see that it is not dampening your spirits.
14th March 2018

Appreciated!
Greetings from Puerto Vallarta! Humid here - but no rain so far. Went on charity house tour today, of 4 houses. Friend Marilyn grieving her dead sister who lived down here for 3 winters before dying of rare disease. Laurieanne travelled with me to Bali. Great loss! I hear weather is lovely sunny & melting now - but it was wickedly cold when I left. I envy you getting to Seville!
14th March 2018

Enjoying your trip through your blogs.great Experiences.
Have been enjoying your trip as we have been in Casablanca, Marikeche and and Seville. Architecture, history and people are a great experience.I am in Los Ayala at Evas for 4 weeks. Bryon arrived yesterday for a week and we are off home to Calgary. A good break from snow and cold. Visited with Roger and hope to see him one more time .Our neighbours son , 19 was killed in a scooter accident so very devastating for them. We knew him for 11 years so very sad. Eva and I helped with the food for the wake which was that night. There were .Now there are prayers or a service every evening at the small church. The small community really pulled together for the family. Our internet was down for 5 days so now catching up . Safe travelling back to Canada where Spring is on its way. And another dream completed.
14th March 2018

Not sure why I couldn’t leave comments... I love your trip, wish I could go one day!

Tot: 0.381s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0903s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb