A Quick visit to Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Alhaurin el Grande
November 6th 2016
Published: November 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

SPAIN 27th Sept 2016 – 4th Nov 2016



It was only a short 5 week break in Spain to touch base with neighbours and friends and go on the Senderista walking holiday (3 days to Pinos Genil, near Granada) and the Field Club Holiday (4 days to Cazalla de la Sierra in the National Park just north of Seville)

We were greeted on our arrival by very worried Spanish neighbours who informed us that there had been a lot of burglaries in the area and people breaking into empty properties and squatting, so she had been cleaning our front door to make our house look lived in, but advised us to get metal security doors to replace our glass ones. A quick visit to Antonio, our metal fabrication expert from when the house was first renovated, who contacted some builders that he knew, and we now have new security doors with a reija in the front window! Chris did an excellent job of painting them and they look really good. Slight problem where the window on the roof terrace door doesn’t open as it hits the sloping ceiling, but Antonio said he will sort out in December…..

There was certainly a lot of demolition work going on! The garages, by the bus station (which is a bit of a folly at the moment as it’s still not being used!) have been knocked down, including the back wall of the garages that enclosed the orchard! Then they started knocking down the top half of a few of the houses in the lane, and then completely knocked them down creating a huge space and entry into the lane. Not at all sure what is going on but a quick visit to Michaela at the Casa de la Cultura reassured us that our house was definitely not going to be knocked down.

There has been very little rain this trip and even the days rain we had made no impression on the dry, brown, land, with the Rio Grande more or less dry. The weather was still very hot for the Senderista holiday with temperatures soaring over 30c. It made the walking a little uncomfortable but we drank plenty of water and the scenery was certainly stunning, especially the drive over to Monachil for our last walk and a final lunch! After that we drove to Nerja to meet up for a drink with an old school friend, who was there on a weeks’ package tour.

The rains arrived on Hispanidad Day, October 12th, and we watched the ceremony at the Guardia Civil – they laid a wreath and there was a bit of band playing and singing! Not very exciting!!

The Field Club holiday was also very enjoyable. We stayed at the Hotel ** Posada del Moro where the food was absolutely delicious and I can almost say the best food I have ever eaten in Spain! Highly recommended! It was all prepared, cooked and served by the family who must have worked so hard to prepare all the home made dishes. The walks were fairly easy and flat as well, so it was a very relaxing time ending with a lunch and a look around the town of Carmona. As we had already visited here, we walked out to the Necropolis before walking back into the town again and exploring its many churches and old buildings!

The other thing we needed to sort was our stay in Spain in December, to coincide with Chris’ 70th Birthday. There is a huge fire fiesta at Casarabonela on the 12th December that he wants to go to, but accommodation is proving difficult! A visit to the Ayuntamiento in Casarabonela for information, led to us being directed to a Bar where we had to ask for Maria. She was unfortunately in Malaga that day, and after a short telephone call to her (609 95 64 91), established she spoke no English,and although she could understand my Spanish, I unfortunately couldn’t understand her replies! (We think she arranges accommodation though!) Another trip to Casarabonela and a meeting with Maria in the Bar opposite the ayuntamiento and we have a room booked for 11th and 12th December. Not quite sure what, or where as they are ‘occupado’ at the moment but either in the main square or opposite the school…….

Visited the Salon Theatre in Fuengirola and watched an excellent version of the musical ‘Fiddler On The Roof’ and also a musical evening with Ricky La Vasse and Fibi who we first saw in Whistle Down the Wind. Some excellent singing, the highlight being the operatic numbers.





We were also invited by the neighbours to Kevins Birthday party. As we had not been around for the first two parties, we sort of felt a little obliged to attend this one and were treated like guests of honour. It was a very similar set up to the 3 year olds parties in UK except there were a lot more children and adults and the noise level was quite incredible with people turning up with gifts anytime between 5.00pm and 8.30pm. The party concluded with ‘Feliz Cumpleanos’ and the cutting of the absolutely delicious cake before the children were gathered around and a huge goody bag disposed its contents of sweets on the floor with much scrabbling around to see what they could collect up.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb