Ljubljana....I didn't know the Slovenian Capital was such a hidden jewel!


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Ljubljana
August 15th 2010
Published: August 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Split....bye bye...and back on the road, this time again avoiding most highways. The road from Zadar to Rijeka is really nice....with thousand of turns. I have to admit these turns are not the friends of Leslie...and for me...well, I needed to stay focus on all these turns...but this place is beautiful. This is true till you reach the area of Rijeka who lose all interest as a big industrial port.

Next, we crossed the border to Slovenia, and there, in a few minutes the land changes in an impressive manner. Imagine, both countries have been part of Yugoslavia for years, but the two seem so different today. You cross the border and you enter green Slovenia (and also back in the EU)....it actually looks more like Austria or Switzerland than the south neighbour of Croatia. This is only a short stop for us, so we headed straight to Ljubljana, the little capital. One of the plans was to meet Jana, one of our fellow travelbloggers...but skype and mobile networks didn't help much for this, so it will be for our next visit, or we will meet Jana somewhere else in the world.

Ljubljana...we have a nice hotel booked....arrived just before dinner, ready to head for a small walk in the city center. For once, the weather is not on our side, as we will discover Slovenia mainly under a low cloudy sky....lucky enough, not much rain actually. And there it stike us...the city center is not big, but what a little jewel. The place is relax, gorgeous....very slow pace, I'm in love! It is actually a very romantic little place. Wow! Our dinner was in the traditional restaurant.I'm nott sure we had the local speciality, but we feated on schnitzel and saussages. Our next stops will be West in Italy, so no pizza or pasta here! As the day was pretty long already, we headed early to bed.

Early morning wake up, nice breakfast...took the umbrella in case, but we never used it...nice. This morning program, first the climb to the Castle...the Castle is surrounded by a nice little forest...nice climb, another peaceful moment....Next, we wandered even more in the city center. It was a Saturday morning, market day, and very nice veggies and fruits on stalls, as well as thousand of other products.

One real curiosity in Ljubljana...have you ever come across a milk machine....you put your coins, you put your recycled glass bottle...and you get your milk! Never saw it before, but what a brillant idea! Where did the hide the cow (smile)!

Lunch time and it is already time to head on the road. To all citizens of Slovenia, I admit...we should have stay way longer...we do not honor your country by staying for such a short time...but it is a discovery for us and we will be back. We love your country! Maybe a ski trip on day?!?


Next stop...Italy...but wait for this, I still have to go around the hundred of pictures!

With love from Bangkok....we will be back soon...


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



25th August 2010

l'appareil à lait
Hihi.... voila ce que c'est que de n'aller qu'au rayon des vins au Cactus.... On a ca aussi chez nous... mais il faut viser le rayon crêmerie ! Une fois je vous montrerai !
25th August 2010

Ljubljana....I didn't know the Slovenian Capital was such a hidden jewel! We thought the same when we visited there in June 2009. We really enjoyed our visit there, in fact we loved everything we saw in Slovenia. Have fun.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb